John Livingstone brother of Dr?

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Andrew Lancaster5

John Livingstone (Weaver)

Post by Andrew Lancaster5 »

Dear Kevin Thanks for the offer, and of course if there's anything I can help you with just ask. However I think my paper trail is still a long way from getting to Argyll, which is where I understand your Campbelltown to be (not the one in NSW). The DNA results and family legends suggest that my Livingstones were Macleas, but actually the area where my paper trail stops - either in Edinburgh or in Angus depending on where you set your limits for evidence - is a long way from where yours is. So perhaps I am missing something but I do not yet see any potential links to be made? Maybe one day we'll find them. At the moment I am most interested to find any researchers looking at the Angus area. That is where my problems lie. I need to find John Livingstone, a stationer of Dundee with some sort of connection to Glamis and/or Kinnettles. The fact that I now know that there was a Livingstone stationer in Dundee who had a connection to Glamis gives me hope. Most interesting to me now are the censuses of 1841 and 1851, especially for Dundee. But these are big censuses for Dundee, and not yet fully transcribed or indexed anywhere that I know of. Best Regards Andrew
D.W.Livingston

Exchanging information

Post by D.W.Livingston »

"Actually, I was wrong. There was an Alexander in Dundee b or bap 12 Jul 1778, and there were Alexanders in Glamis also. I do not know whether any of these link to my own family tree or with each other. It seems to me we can profitably exchange more information as we are studying the same people in the same area." This brings up a old post we had from last year about maybe starting a Database of sorts where we can enter our information and see if it matches (builds off) someone elses research. I personally am no good at creating databases but what does everyone think of the idea?
David Wyse Livingston
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Bachuil

Exchanging information

Post by Bachuil »

I am so pleased that you guys are all finding this useful. I am afraid that I am snowed under at the moment - but keep up the pressure.  I do database stuff for a living! One day!
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Keith Livingstone Australia

Post by Keith Livingstone Australia »

Hi Andrew. My family folklore says we are MacLeas and we were kinsmen of Stewarts of Appin. There is supposed to be a cousin thing with David Livingstone, as my father was supposed to pick up his walking stick and a family bible from an aunty in Paisley at the start of the war, but it never happened as he and his brother both signed up straight away and the families lost touch. My aunt and my uncle both confirmed this on separate occasions a few years ago, before they died. The John Livingston (Weaver) thing interests me; this suggests a commonality. My trail stops with the birth of great great grandfather Gavin Livingston on 4/1/1835, Parish Livingston, for which I have ordered parish records from the Scottish ancestry site. His marriage certificate from 1857 says his father was John Livingston(weaver), and mother Agnes Edmonston. We'll keep pushing!When I get the parish copies we'll have something more concrete.
Keith Livingstone Australia

Dundee Livingstones

Post by Keith Livingstone Australia »

How far back exactly have you got with your paper trail? I'd be interested in a couple of names and dates. The John Livingstone (stationer) in Dundee: is he your confirmed ancestor or are you looking for a connection to him? And is he the brother of Neil Livingstone, father of Dr David... or is he from a subsequent era? From all my chasing around it seems that the Livingston/MacLea lot moved all around the place chasing whatever opportunity presented itself. This seems to be an ingrained characteristic! In some cases we find several lots of children seemingly born to the same couple, but registered in several successive parishes as they moved around. Cheers.
Andrew Lancaster4

Dundee Livingstones

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

John Livingstone the stationer is supposed to have been the uncle of Dr Livingstone, but we have no evidence for him at all except that his son David Peter Livingstone reported his father's name and profession and residence. David claimed his birth place as Kinnettles and his mother's name as Mary Craig. David also gave his own baptism date, 10 Aug 1814, but no such baptism exists in the normal registers it seems. The fact that there was, according to Dundee burial records, a Livingstone stationer in Dundee, William, who was born in Glamis (next to Kinnettles), does seem promising though. Furthermore, the Dundee burial records show a small group of Livingstones from Glammis and Kinnettles, none of whom turn up in the registers there. Either those registers are incomplete, or this family simply did not get baptised in the Kirk. It seems they lived in a similar part of Dundee and worked in similar trades, perhaps together. Later on in the 19th century there is Peter a vintner of Gellatly st and a James seems to have been a spirit dealer in Meadowside with William the Perth-born son of William the stationer. By the way, I have discovered that William the bookseller of Murraygate helped publish a book of poetry of his son Peter, which eventually went to about 12 editions. (Unless it was William junior, helping his brother. He also worked in book-selling before changing to spirits.) Regards Andrew
Andrew Lancaster4

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

Just a remark. I think that in the early 19th century weaving was a very common profession in many of the towns we are talking about.
Karen Jean Coats

Post by Karen Jean Coats »

I noticed in this message you mention Euphemia Livingstone.  My great grandmother's name was also Euphemia Livingstone.  Do you by chance have any further information regarding her or could you direct me where to find more?  If this is the same Euphemia, then I have found the link from the Livingstones to the Coats.  Of special interest is the name of the man our Euphemia married...I believe there was some kind of scandal, and my grandfather refused to tell us his father's name. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Karen
Donald Livingstone Clink

Post by Donald Livingstone Clink »

Hi Andrew, I agree that there aren't as many records as one would like linking all of the Livingstons and McLeas. Still I am patiently going through any and all highland records I can locate that pertain to Livingston's McLea's, and related Highland families for any clues. I am enjoying learning about the rich Scottish history that the McLea-Livingstones for centuries have been a part of. In the mean time I have my great-great-great grandfather Miles Livingstone's marriage entry stating he was a native of Morvern across from the Isle of Lismore. The family knew vaguely that Mile's came to Canada in 1812 with settlers mainly from Mull, so historians here assumed he was also from Mull. They werent far off geographically speaking, as part of Movern is in fact across from Mull. Miles as we now know was born sometime between 1775 and 1782 in one of the coastal settlements at Morvern across from the Isle of Lismore. My Miles may well be the Myles Livingstone, son of Donald Livingstone baptised in 1775 on the ISle of Lismore, according to the records, but my late cousin was not able to prove this. Later I found that Mile's marriage entry stated he was born at Morvern across from Lismore. Of course it is possible that the family lived at Morvern, but had him baptised on the nearby ISle of Lismore, where relatives lived. Without getting too specific or scientific, I can at least be reasonably certain that Mile's father had some family connection to Myles Livingstone son of Donald Livingston that resided not far from the Baron's family on the Isle of Lismore circa 1770's. This Donald of the ISle of Lismore may also be the brother of a Myles Livingstone that lived on the ISland circa 1760's. In the past, I ignored the close proximity of Movern to the Isle of Lismore and looked upon them as a separarate sub branch of our family, but that is not neccessarily the case at all. My Movern Livingstones could have been basically a hop skip and jump from the Baron's people and probably were. So while there are still many questions, and while I don't expect that I am a second or third cousin to the Baron, I can state that I am a decendant of the old Isle of Lismore-Morvern-Appin McLea-Livingstones families.  My bloodline is so mixed with  Colonial German, Dutch, Swedish and a variety of English and numerous other Scottish origins in addition to my Livingstone connection.