Old Charters

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Craig McClay Wilson

Old Charters

Post by Craig McClay Wilson »

I was able to find someone to check on those two feudal title Charters referenced in the earlier thread about 1304 Charters. 1) There really appears to be an early charter from Robert Bruce to our family in Kintyre.
Kyle2 MacLea

Old Charters - GREAT research!

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Great finds, Craig! I think the first would seem to indicate that those at THE TIME in 1304, either believed that the name came from "son of Dunsleph" or knew of no other way to translate it... I think this puts, if I may be so bold, a nail in the coffin of the "son of the physician" line of argument, which, let's face it, hasn't gotten a lot of good support these past few years. The individual lands mentioned may also turn out to be very important -- these need to be looked into as well.
Canadian Livingstone

Old Charters

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Craig, Nice work. We should get someone to make copies of these documents and put them on the Clan MCLea Livingstone website with the rest of our historic records. Once again a job well done Sir. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Old Charters

Now if we could only locate an old bond document between a Sir James Livingstone and the Baron of Bachuil/Maconleas or Macdunleas circa 1640's. That would really be something extraordinary. regards Donald
Kyle2 MacLea

Old Charters

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Well, if any record of it ever appears on the Net, we'll find it in a heartbeat, I hope.
Canadian Livingstone

Old Charters

Also it should be mentioned that this record of a John McDowlene from 1304 is our oldest that makes reference to the Island of Lismore and what we presume to be a early local Mcdunslea McLea kinsmen. This is really a terrific find. regards Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Old Charters

"McDowlene" in the 1304 record may seem to some like an odd spelling variation of our original clan name, but you may recall that there was a 1518 bond of manrent in Argyll between Sir JOhn Campbell of Cawdor clan "McDowleanis (Mcdonleavis) at the Isle of Kilmolrue (almost sounds like the ancient name for the Isle of Lismore (Kilmoluaug). regards, Donald
Craig McClay Wilson

Old Charters

Post by Craig McClay Wilson »

Kyle and all, Found a detailed map of Kintyre and was able to locate the lands that had been granted to James Macdonleavie by Robert Bruce back in the early 1300s. The lands are on the east coast of Kintyre between Campbeltown and the village of Carradale: 1) Penniver(Penigninvir) is on Ardnacross Bay about 5 miles north of Campbeltown. 2) Laggan(Lagan) is just west of Penniver. 3) Kilkedden(Kylcedene) and Ardnacross(Adincross) are just north of Penniver. 4) Ugadal(Ogidaill) is bit farther north, almost to Saddell and Saddell Glen. 5) The village of Carradale(Ardayardill) is a couple miles north of Saddell. I believe we can link this area to McLeas at a much later date: 1) We know that McLeas were a part of the Dunaverty massacre in 1647.
Kyle2 MacLea

Old Charters

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Craig, again, this is excellent.