A Response to the National Trust for Scotland

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Dear Forum, I am extremely busy over the next two weeks and won't have time to put anything together myself... BUT, I do believe we need to respond again to the message from NTS regarding the Culloden battle markers SOON.
D.W.Livingston

Post by D.W.Livingston »

I have not written back with this information as of yet. I have email addresses for all the key players at the NTS if anyone wants it though. I think if I am the only emails they might think less of the campaign or that only one person is fighting it (until they get all the paper copies) I just wanted to give everyone a heads up on what else I've been doing for this. I went online and found the link http://www.onlinenewspapers.com/scotland.htm I went through and found an email address for each of the newspapers and some for the "letter to the Editors" and emailed them all on the issue, including NTS response. So far i got one response asking me to call them Susy Macaulay (Susy.Macaulay -at ajl -dot co -dot uk) and David Ross from the Herald wrote: Hi David, I am the Herald's Highland Correspondent and was going to follow up on the issues you raised.
David Wyse Livingston
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle and David, I think we have all made some convincing arguements. The fact they dont hold any water with the National Trust is not our fault. Our Clan has done research as well. I also dont entirely understand why our ancient allies Stewarts and McLarens for there part seem to have ignored the other Appin area clan participants of the Appin Regiment in any discussions or negotiations on the battlefield marker Correct me if I am wrong Stewarts or McLarens but this is my impression.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle and David, Hopefully if we ever get to the stage where we are included in the monument process, we will be recorded as McLea to acknowledge with historical accuracy those who participated based the earliest records of the Appin Regiment itself(Livingstone if they have room for it, but lets not alter history circa 1746.)Captain Stewart refers to our people as McLeas and Baron Duncan is referred to as Baron Duncan McInlea in surviving records from 1751. Either one would be correct. regards Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Of course Maconlea might be preferable to McInlea. Donald
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

I agree that Niall needs a voice here, but he is extremely busy and I also feel that we need to continue to raise the cause even if Niall doesn't have time for it. I think perhaps, though, that any future correspondence should provide contact information for Niall so that they might contact the Chiefly family for consultation if they wish, even though they should know some way of contacting them, I'm sure.
D.W.Livingston

Chief's contact information

Post by D.W.Livingston »

I agree that we should have included all current Chief's names at the very least, I am unsure of the full contact information as they might not want to get immediately involved and leave that to members that they have delegated... I would not want to presume. But it might be a good thing to have at least a list of who the current Clan Chiefs are somewhere. Also with getting the word and importance to the NTS I believe that one person, even the Chief of a single clan, woudl not get their attention and like the MacLaren news stated it was a group of clan members who pressured NTS to go their way. So if it was a group of Clan Chiefs that confront them, or a wide selection from many clans I think it makes more of a point than one clan, one individual would. Just my thoughts. :) David
David Wyse Livingston
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Bachuil

The Arrogance of the National Trust for Scotland

Post by Bachuil »

When this was being discussed I tried to speak to a few people but was steadfastly ignored. I am very happy for you guys to prepare the ground on this one - even directing any reporters this way. Once we have their heads out from under the carpet I shall get stuck in with a very full argument based on the erudite points already mentioned. Incidentally I am just back from the South of France where I was on holiday with my three sisters, brother and various members of extended family.
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Canadian Livingstone

Chief's contact information

I agree with David that we should get a list together of Clan CHiefs and also persons from Clan Associations to contact. I am presently trying to get in touch with Norm McINnes as the Vice President of Clan McInnes, an important Movern McInnes contact of mine in the Highland regretably died in January of 2007. I think one thing that may surprise some of you is how few highland Clan Chiefs there are whose clans participated in the Appin Regiment. We are very fortunate and exceptional to have a Baron and Chief of Clan Livingstone whose family line has been virtually unbroken for centuries. THere are to my understanding not many other highland clans that can make that claim. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

The Arrogance of the National Trust for Scotland

Hi Niall, Welcome back. Never was there a greater need for a united Livingstone family. I can't imagine why you were ignored, but I do believe that there are alot of good principled Scots out there who will follow you if you choose to lead. The efforts of David and Kyle are providing the groundwork for this effort, but I do think there are some local Scots out there who will come to our aid in droves. Well maybe not in droves. Perhaps small herds would be more accurate. No matter. Trust me on this one. Of course as I have maintained from the beginning, despite my frequent and annoying discourses on the ancient clan democracy, you are the only one that can lead through these troubled waters. If my contact the late Donald McInnes of Cumbernauld former Vice President of Clan McInnes were still alive, I dare say I would have Movern and the whole highlands supporting you. I have given my strategy of developing local support of McColls, and other Appin areas folks connected to those who were at Culloden. Also the Oban times might be a possible means to get the message out to locals.lF you could talk to David and Kyle about media efforts I would appreciate that. I realize now is not a good time for you, but I feel some direction is needed. Sorry about that. If this is all for nothing, then I was wrong about the people of Scotland. But I know I am right. Scotland is a nation of people who have been pacified for far too long. You can not tell me that people out there in the highlands and elsewhere in Scotland do not feel that they have been trampled upon for centuries and made to feel inferior. You cannot tell me that if the people of the Highland knew the situation of the Baron and your yourself they would show their support and sympathy. If the people of Scotland do not support you on this fundamentally important issue then they are not only turning their backs on Clan McLea Livingstone but on Scotland itself.