Newspaper articles for Culloden

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
D.W.Livingston

Post by D.W.Livingston »

Hello Everyone, I just got a response again from Susie MacAulay (she works for the Press and Journal in Aberdeen) http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/index.jsp She wrote: Hi David, no need to call me, I have written the piece based on the correspondence you enclosed, and I'll email you a copy tomorrow. Our photographer has been to Culloden to take a pic of the offending marker. It'll be interesting to see what reponse there is from the other clans. I'll keep you posted- Best, Susy So I'll copy the article, or a link to the online version, when I get it.
David Wyse Livingston
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

David! Bravo! This was a flash of inspiration that I have to thank you for.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi David, This is great, but make sure you are in sync with Niall on any media overtures. Trust me on this one. I had some thoughts about the Oban TImes. A letter to the editor or something like that. If they want to do a feature on the clan we have the story.Talk to Niall about the approaching the Oban Times. A very old local newspaper that I suspect would be interested in hearing about our plight. Anyways please talk to Niall first.
D.W.Livingston

Press and Journal article

Post by D.W.Livingston »

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/displa ... ebarsearch MODERN BATTLE TO RAGE OVER REGIMENTAL MARKER 08:50 - 27 September 2007
David Wyse Livingston
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Very cool, David!
D.W.Livingston

Post by D.W.Livingston »

I am not overly happy with the article. It does get the word out.. but the reporter seemed to make it sound like it is one person, in the United States, who is up in arms over this. I have been talking to David Ross, the Herald's Highland Correspondent, who said because Susy MacAulay was writing one they (the Herald) might have to rethink. After this article, and Niall's comment in the National Trust thread (http://www.clanmclea.co.uk/forum/show-m ... sp?ID=3238), I wrote to David and made the offer of maybe having the Clan Chief's interviewed so the word can get out it isn't one crazy person from the United States... but like someone once said "Any publicity is good publicity" so I'll take the Press and Journal article, and maybe I am reading into it to much. Anyone else see it as "some crazy guy from United States is furious and wants something in Scotland changed"? :)haha
David Wyse Livingston
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Well, I see your point David, but given how people read newspapers, I'm not sure your fear is too much to be expected.
Canadian Livingstone

I personally thought the letter was great and David's efforts on this are greatly appreciated and to be commended. When David puts his mind into something he never settles for nothing less than perfection. I like that. I have concerns previously expressed however that
Bachuil

All Gas and Gaiters

Post by Bachuil »

Dear all, I think that this is a very good first salvo.
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Canadian Livingstone

I love the article, but I would love the general public to somehow understand through our efforts that the historical records indicate that is was Clan McLea that fought at Culloden not Clan Livingstone. Stewart of Farnacloich sent a casualty list to Bonnie Prince Charlie soon after Culloden which included "McLea" and others not currently honoured on the battlefield site. That being said I realize and fully recognise that as "Livingstones"