Newspaper articles for Culloden

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
D.W.Livingston

McLea on the marker

Post by D.W.Livingston »

I agree with Donald that in 1745 it was the McLea's that fought, it was the McLea's that died and it was the McLea's that were written in documents, but with current writings and books I have read it would seem that when the Clan Mclea is written about it will always have a (Livingstone) after it, so it is most likely that any plaque, marker, or writing at all might look like Clan McLea(Livingstone), which if you look at the financial cost of scribing a stone per letter I say have the NTS pay for those 13 extra characters. :) haha And from the Young Bachuil's notice it appears that history depends on the highest bidder and accuracy is out the door. Perhaps that is how the MacLarens pressured NTS t have it their way. David
David Wyse Livingston
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Canadian Livingstone

McLea on the marker

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Right on David. I hadn't thought about that. McLea does fit better on a monument. I can give you addresses of all McColl's, Carmichael's etc in a 15 mile radius of Bachuil and it would be great if we could get the Young Bachuil to send out form letters to all these potential descendants and relatives of the APpin Regiment letting them how passionatelly we feel about this issue of national injustice. I have your e-mail address somewhere. THe form letter could be one created by you, Kyle or the Baron. (I am a lousy speller)and besides I prefer what you and Kyle have written.
Jerry

Press and Journal article

Post by Jerry »

David, If the reporter thinks it's only (1) person in the United States who is up in arms over this please post the name and address, I've sent over 20 letters to various people, 1 more won't be a bother.... Regards, Jerry
Kyle2 MacLea

Off...

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Off for the weekend, but happy to help send out letters next week come Weds or so, if needed! Kyle=
Kyle2 MacLea

ANZAC

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

I'm out the door, but someone want to bop over the ANZAC board and make sure people are aware of the controversy over there?
D.W.Livingston

The Telegraph news article

Post by D.W.Livingston »

Found another article through WordPress.. a Blog software. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... lan128.xml Once more I wonder if they are painting me as a single person fighting this campaign. There is definately some incorrect information and no one from the Telegraph wrote to me. But let me say that I mostly am passing on the good worksinformation provided by the clan as a whole. I do not consider myself as a Historian, but I do love to research things. :) haha Thanks Everyone, David
David Wyse Livingston
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Regardless of the errors or misconceptions in the articles so far, I am happy to hear of them nonetheless.
Canadian Livingstone

The more the better to be sure. Help me I am confused. In the letter from the Property Manager she speaks of the Battlefield Markers as orginally stating Stewarts of APpin and MacLaren's and that it was "altered a number of years ago to Appin Regiment". The only photo on line I could find of the what I think is this wooden marker is fairly recent and indeed it states "Appin REgiment". My understanding from this letter is that they are going to replace this marker with one made from stone saying "APpin REgiment -Stewart and MacLarens. In a letter from the Chairman she indicates that the old marker has stated "The Stewarts of Appin and MacLaren for about 30 years without dispute. The inference being that no one has ever disputed The Stewarts of Appin and McLaren. Well if that is the case then how come the Property Manager told us that it was altered a number of years ago to Appin Regiment. Did that confuse anyone else? I think that the Property Manager has a better grasp of history. Is this the wooden marker the property manager is talking about? Perhaps someone can help me on this. http://www.pbase.com/nnorland/image/20918352 regards, Donald
Craig McClay Wilson

Post by Craig McClay Wilson »

Donald, I share your confusion. The picture of the marker says "Appin Regiment".
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Craig, Ok you noticed the confusion as well. I thought maybe I was just stupid. After reading Niall's original message to us on the the subject, then the property manager and finally the chairman I went through them once again last night I noticed that something is not making sense here. Somebody got something wrong here. Then I recalled seeing this photo marked 2003 taken by Nancy Norland who had apparently visited the highlands that year. So it did say APpin Regiment recently? Maybe we need a spy satelite to take a close up photo of the current marker so we have absolute proof of what currently is written, before they change it. Then again maybe they have already taken a paint brush and changed it to Stuarts and MCLarens while we were asleep. In any event,somehow I think a spy satelite is beyond the McLea Livingstone Society budget at this time. regards, Donald