Another Response to the NTS

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle, Your letter represents a well researched and reasonable response to the marker issue in stark contrast to their approach so far. We all pray that your efforts at some sort of dialogue and mediation prove successfull. Note: My personal preference is that Donald at the time of Culloden be known as a McLea. In the earliest records I have regarding Donald Livingstone of Movern, James Logan's 1845 book on the Clans, he was referred to by the locals as Maconlea of Movern, but since then historians with the exception of John Prebble have almost always referred to him as Donald Livingtone of Movern. This in keeping with the fact that sometime in the 1750's, Donald and his Movern family made the official name change to Livingstone as indicated by the elaborate gravestone at Keil Cemetery in Movern he erected for his parents in the late 1750's. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

I think what the Chief has proposed is the most reasonable approach we can take and one which I think that the NTS would be more likely to seriously consider. With a heavy heart I have to concede that it is a fair and reasonable compromise for all concerned.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Donald, Then what?
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jerry, I will use that one when I meet with Dr. Livingstone's great nephew. This whole McLea/Livingstone thing is confusing to more than a few Livingstones I am certain. It however true that we are not the only highland clans to make a name change or to make the jump to a more anglicized sounding name from one rooted in gaelic. The fact that my great-great-great grandfather was named Miles Livingstone instead of Maelmoire which is the gaelic form of this name is just the english language penetrating the highlands. regards, Donald
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Donald, Sorry for not starting a new thread, but when are you going to meet Dr. Livingstone's great nephew?
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jerry, I regret to say he is not very well at the moment. regards, Donald
Timothy McColl Hawkins

Post by Timothy McColl Hawkins »

I am in agreement with Mr. MacLea.