centralized genealogy website

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
D.W.Livingston

Post by D.W.Livingston »

I don't know if this is possible on this website, or if someone has already started something like this but would it be possible to create a website where all McLea/Livingstone can go to put in their information. That way as one person is searching and comes across a John Livingstone born , 1874 (this is all made up of course) in Glascow Scotland the database may already have it and have ancestry going back further. I am just saying to save time/effort/money.. plus we can then have an accurate count of how personA in Scotland, personB in Australia and personC in United States are all related from back in the 1700's. Plus with the computer age, links from Google and Yahoo, etc. will increase the number of
David Wyse Livingston
Tucson, Arizona, United States
David Wyse Livingston1

Post by David Wyse Livingston1 »

I just wanted to let everyone know I created a Yahoo group for the McLea/Livingstone family and have put a link to this website to assist others. If I was wrong to do it, or need something to make it work could you please let me know Niall. The yahoo address is: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/McLea_Livingstone/
Bachuil

Centralized Genealogy website

Post by Bachuil »

David, I think the database is a good idea.  I might have some time after Christmas to look at this. Initial thoughts is to have an index of names and dates of births and any known information re relatives etc. I am unsure what the Yahoo group will add to this site.  The danger is that it will remove the focus - and we are a small enough community as it is. Would welcome others views on this. Regards to all Niall
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

I actually do have the feeling that the yahoo site might take away from this site in some way...  I tend to check this site every day and wouldn't really need to add more sites to check, or at least that is my thought? I like the idea of a genealogy database website.  I think an index of known dates of birth for each family with McLea/Livingstone members in them would be a good idea.  There would have to be several trees of course, because for instance I have not connected my family with any other family in Scotland as of yet. Well, that's my thoughts for now. Kyle=
D.W.Livingston

Post by D.W.Livingston »

I was thinking about it last night and I agree a Yahoo Group may actually take away from this site which is not something I want to do. It has been removed. And I also have this site on my favorites so I can come on a daily basis to see if new posts are written. Thank you all. David
David Wyse Livingston
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

I think a centralized genealogy website is a very good idea, and could help us all. My current Livingston family tree goes back to approx the 1750s and I would be happy to have it posted on the website, if it would be of help to people. I don't at present have the necessary software to do this. Can you advise me on the best way to go about this, please? Jill
Jill Richmond
Bachuil

Post by Bachuil »

I shall create a database which you will be able to enter data into. Regards, Niall
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
David Wyse Livingston1

Post by David Wyse Livingston1 »

Trying to think of a way so that if Person A puts the information in the database it can relate to another entry. Names alone wouldn't be enough, do you think names and birthdates? or would it ned to be names and birth places plus year of birth.. for those entries where all you really know is place/parish and year. Just trying to brainstorm and see if it will open possibilities. Thank you for taking the database thought on. David
Bachuil

Post by Bachuil »

I think there are various aspects: First date of birth.  One would drill down by century, decade or year.  Second place - Drill down from Country, County or state, parish. Third names - how accurate Fourth parents - how accurate fifth Marriage details Sixth Children Seventh Siblings and catch all - notes It will be complex - no doubt about it. Regards, Niall
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea