We will remember

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Bachuil

We will remember

Post by Bachuil »

As my father recites these words at the service today on Lismore I thought I would post them for all our ancestors that have fought over the years for that in which they believed: in our recent past, in the risings of 1715 and 1745, in the troubled days of the 1600s at Dunavertie and Achnacree; and in more ancient times. They shall not grow old, As those that are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, Nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun, And in the morning, We will remember them.
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Kyle2 MacLea

We will remember

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Indeed, we will and do remember. Perhaps no passing of Armistice Day (or Veterans Day, here in the US now) would be complete without the famous verse: In Flanders Fields By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918) Canadian Army IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow Between the crosses row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below. We are the Dead. Short days ago We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow, Loved and were loved, and now we lie In Flanders fields. Take up our quarrel with the foe: To you from failing hands we throw The torch; be yours to hold it high. If ye break faith with us who die We shall not sleep, though poppies grow In Flanders fields.
Jerry

We will remember

Post by Jerry »

Thanks for sharing!
Canadian Livingstone

We will remember

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

At an early age we were required to memorize
Jill Richmond

We will remember

Post by Jill Richmond »

Whenever I hear the words quoted above I particularly remember the men I knew who had fought in
Jill Richmond
Kyle2 MacLea

We will remember

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

It seems my family escaped involvement in the war by virtue of being of the wrong ages at the time... I did discover one of the relatives from Glasgow who came to the US after the war (my family had arrived c. 1883 and they may have not known each other by then) had been a veteran.
Canadian Livingstone

We will remember

And to think if Adolf Hitler, a rejected artist and insignificant corporal had been killed in a gas attack in World War 1 the world might never have experienced the horror of World War 11.
Kyle2 MacLea

We will remember

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Always a possibility, although it might have been his own side using it that might have killed him too.
Canadian Livingstone

We will remember

I seem to remember he spent some time in hospital during the First World War, temporarily blinded by mustard gas or something like that. Perhaps the wind changed direction as sometimes happened. Donald