MacLachlans support the cause of the Appin Regiment

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Dear Forum, I don't have time to go into detail, but I just wanted to let you all know that the Chief of Clan MacLachlan passed my letter on to the Chairman of the Clan MacLachlan Society, Joseph Cairns.
Kevin Livingston

Post by Kevin Livingston »

Congratulaations, Kyle! I have also been interesting targeted people in the MacColl, Fraser, and Mackenzie Clans. The general feeling is that they support us. But we will wait and see. Interestingly, our TV station SBS television has run a new series on Culloden called "two Men in a Trench" - 2 people doing archival research on what they beleive could or couldnot happen. The next in this series is on friday SBS TV 8:30 PM local Eastern Australian Time. Last Fridays program dealt with the house where the Jacobites were burned. It doesnot seem to be where the NTS says it is. Regards to all Kevin
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Great, Kevin!
Kevin Livingston

This is a copy of a response from Gordon MacColl: Dear Kevin, Thanks for keeping me informed on the Culloden issue.
Bachuil

Post by Bachuil »

Kevin, Thanks for this. Can you respond saying that our position is that it should have no names - just the Appin Regiment. Thanks, Niall
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Kevin Livingston

This is a reply from Ms Macpherson received by Gordon MacColl after his submission: Sent on behalf of Shonaig Macpherson Thank you for your e-mail of 12th November 2007. The reason why the MacLaren name will be included on the marker for the Appin Regiment is that on the basis of historical records that we have reviewed the two Clan Chiefs within the Appin Regiment, as indicated by the Muster Roll, were the Stewarts of Appin and the MacLarens.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Ok so no septs,retainers or large stones allowed on the battlefield. I get it. I guess that probably also means no food, beverages or pets allowed. What about highland cattle?. Are they allowed to graze on the battlefield site? They had them in 1746.
Bachuil

Give her enough rope

Post by Bachuil »

And she will hang herself. She says "two Clan Chiefs within the Appin Regiment, as indicated by the Muster Roll, were the Stewarts of Appinand the MacLarens" which is demonstrably wrong. I am impressed by her ignorance. Niall
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Kevin Livingston

Give her enough rope

Hello Niall,
D.W.Livingston

Give her enough rope

Post by D.W.Livingston »

What a well written letter, I hope it adds some strength to the many voices that are in agreement that having the MacLarens name added is improper. As for the battle I have been thinking long and hard on the steps that most likely need to happen next. The letter campaign is a good one but to be honest I think the NTS is just rolling their eyes and sending out their form response about "monumental accomplishment of the vistor centre". I believe it is time to get the Stewarts of Appin back in the fight to remove the MacLaren name off the stone. To have them and the other clan chiefsleaders doing a unified assault (as in a face-to-face meeting, etc.) would be the next step in the "evolution" of this campaign. Also having new people keep sending the letters into Ms. Macpherson is good to build up the base of people watching but from past emails and conversations it might be time for the big players to focus on other members of the NTS board.. with one person recieving it all it is easier to hide it under the rug but if there are members of the boards who are involved then I think it would be discussed at a board meeting and perhaps a vote would happen. See http://www.nts.org.uk/about/downloads/A ... inance.pdf - Page 23 (actually page 25 of the PDF) about the "Executive Members" and "Non-Executive Members"... it is not a one person organization. If they have email at the NTS then it would be in the fashion of "first letter of first name" followed by full last name -at nts.org.uk. So Shonaig Macpherson is SMacpherson... Perhaps more media coverage is needed as well.. not sure. Just some thoughts. :) David
David Wyse Livingston
Tucson, Arizona, United States