Descendant of Dr. MacLea of Rothesay

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Well, a recent Google books search did yield substantial information on one of the descendants of Dr. (Archibald, presumably) MacLea (of Rothesay, presumably, although only "Church of Scotland" is mentioned). Charles Gascoigne Maclea, Esq. (1793-1864) http://books.google.com/books?id=esIHAA ... a&as_brr=1 He lived in Leeds and married, though he apparently had no issue.
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

His (maclea and march) machines: http://books.google.com/books?id=lG5gRO ... a&as_brr=1 Kyle=
Andy Turner

Post by Andy Turner »

Although not a blood relation, I do feel a strong connection with this thread as my great grandfather was named Charles Gascoigne Maclea George. My gg grandfather William George moved from South Leith in Edinburgh to Leeds in c1846 and CGM George (his 4th child but the first born in England) was born in June 1847. They lived in the same area of Leeds as CGM himself and I assume that CGM was a benefactor of some sort to the George family but I have no further information from my own family's sources to confirm this. Many thanks for posting the Google-related information about CGM - it's very useful for my own research! Kind regards Andy Turner
Andy Turner

Post by Andy Turner »

Hi Niall I'm delighted to hear that my message finally got through :-) In the meantime, I am now in touch with a historian who has researched the engineers in Leeds including CGM and published a paper for the Thoresby Society on the subject. She considers him to be a "mysterious" individual! I have not yet been able to find his birth in the Scottish parish records although he was supposed to have been born in Edinburgh in 1793 according to his census entry. I'll let you know if I discover anything further of interest Best wishes Andy