DNA project update

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Jane Livingstone

DNA project update

Post by Jane Livingstone »

Yes, Kyle, we are in the DNA project - I can give you the number or is it wrong to do this? I have been a bit worried that I may have led people astray because I provided the information that I believed we may have been Achnacree Livingstones but I really don't know, and have since found out that my grandfather apparently talked about the Appin Livingstones and the cemetery at Morvern. We also believe our relatives fought at Culloden under the Stewarts of Appin and may have been related to Dr David through his mother. How much is true, I really can't say.
Kyle2 MacLea

DNA project update

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Dear Jane, Why don't you send me the kit number off-forum and I can have a look? Email:
Canadian Livingstone

DNA project update

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Jane, Your not alone in your uncertainty as to where precisely your Western Argyll highland Livingstones lived. Part of the problem faced by a number of Livingstone descendants is that family groups within Western Argyll itself moved about within Argyll for various reasons prior to the clearances. As a result it is not always easy to state with 100% certainly that ones Livingstone ancestor was from Movern, Mull or had family roots in Ballachulish. Some of the old material that I have on Livingstones seem to suggest that some of the oldtimers believed that the Ballachuilish and perhaps the Appin Livingstones or I should say Maconleas and the Island of Lismore Livingstones were two distinct clan groups. The results of the DNA testing definitely are leaning towards the notion that are possibly two branches that originated in the vicinity of THe Island of Lismore. At the same time anumber of other DNA Livingstone marker results have also been derived from the testing individuals with name Livingstone or Livingston leaving us with many more questions than answers for the moment regarding the origins of Clan Maconlea/Livingstone. I am hoping that we can with the help of those folks whose Livingstone ancestors lived within the Western Argyll community of the old 18th and 19th century Barons establish family and ancestral connections. My understanding is that many of the Maconlea/Maclea/Livingstone families that lived at Mull and neighbouring Movern were related. The DNA test results if we could find more descendants of Mull and Movern Livingstones