DNA project update

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Jerry

DNA project update

Post by Jerry »

Interesting Kyle, if you remember I too have a blood line from the Campbells of Cawdor when a Rose married a Campbell.
Kyle2 MacLea

DNA project update

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Seems like it's possible we could have a collateral line in common, Jerry!
Jerry

DNA project update

Post by Jerry »

It seems to me the pronunciation of Cawdor is unusual for the spelling, I think it
Kyle2 MacLea

DNA project update

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Not really sure, although I had been told that Calder was an alternate spelling regardless of the pronunciation?
Canadian Livingstone

DNA project update

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Cawdor apparently also spelt sometimes "Calder" for some reason. Thats what the histories of the Campbells of Cawdor indicate. Livingstones have some history with the Campbells of Cawdor dont they? Probably not a happy history.
Jerry

DNA project update

Post by Jerry »

Jane Livingstone1

DNA project update

Post by Jane Livingstone1 »

Just thought I would add some information to the story about the Achnacree Livingstone. Although an old letter hinted at Achnacree origins, I have since heard that my grandfather used to talk about the Livingstone cemetery at Morvern so I don't really know where they came from. There are also connections to Ballachulish through marriage. They arrived in Mull in the 1770s.
Canadian Livingstone

DNA project update

Hi Jane, One of the things I am hoping will come out of the DNA testing of Livingstones whose kin resided Western Argyll ( Mull, Movern, Isle of Islay, Achnacree, Benderloch, Ballachulish, Appin etc.) will be to see if within the confines of Western Argyll we identify the dominant branches of the family in this area as indicated by DNA results. Recent test results for example have shown that Dr. David Livingstone's family have a distinctive DNA results from that of the Baron's Bachuil Livingstones and related kin. None the less both families have their roots in the same Western Agyll Clan. The good news is that we have from these test results and that of others a base from which to compare the results of future tests. regards, Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Canadian Livingstone

DNA project update

Jerry, Fortunately your Campbells were good people. Some of the other Cawdor Campbells of prominence and title however were ruthless in securing their position in the highlands and in dealing with other clans. regards, Donald
Kyle2 MacLea

DNA project update

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Jane--I don't have my records in front of me right now, but is your family yet represented in the DNA project?