Livingstones of Inverness County, Nova Scotia

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Barry, Thats not the Mull River Livingston deed. According to Dr. St. Clair the Livingstones that settled at Mull River did not leave Mull and settled there until the year 1821, so it must be one of the other pioneer John Livingstones that settled in Nova Scotia in the early 1800's. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

I don't know if it is relevent but it seems my livingstone family was involved with the macdonaldite church in uigg. It was an early pentecostal church. It may have pegged her as a witch in Cape Breton, in those days. I'm going to research this angle and see if i can find a connection. When John Livingstone arrived in Mull River in 1824, he had moved there following the reverend campbell from PEI, his sister's husband.
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

The 1806 deed is in PEI. I hope it is the deed from when they lived on PEI. So the land should have transferred around 1820's.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, Roberta's ancestor a John Livingstone husband of Christy McPhee arrived at PEI in 1806 and later settled at Low Point near Sydney and Lingan on Cape Breton. He did receive a grant of land at Low Point but that was a decade later I think. I am curious about this 1806 record and I think is is probably worth checking out, particularly since is it early and we need to clarify which John Livingstone it refers to. There were a few of them. Roberta may be familiar with it. I dont know. Dr. St. Clair suggests you find out when Colin Livingston purchased that property at Forest Hill as it might give you a sense of when he settled in PEI. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

I tried to find the deed for when Colin bought the Forest Hill farm, but I don't seem to be able to find it. I looked through the leases too but couldn't seem to find it either. That's where the theory about Colin may have gone by John when he moved to PEI. Angus had a brother John Colin so maybe Colin was John Colin as well. Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, Is there a deed index for the property at Forest Hill or for the properties on Lot 55. Find out who was the original property ownner of the lot where that farm was at Forest Hill and find the deed index which will should give you a quick look at the history from the first grantee in the late 1700's Unless they
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Donald The Provincial archives has two deed indexes. One is indexed by "to", which are the recipients of a transferral of ownership and the other index is the "from" index. I searched the entire "to" index at the archives for any livingstone or similar name. The only ones I found are the transferrals, but not the original deed. On the 1861 Lakes map, there is no one showing as the owner of that property. In the "from" index, who would have transferred the property to Colin? I am aware of the will of John Livingstone, Colin's son, from Boyd Livingstone's research, but I have not had an opportunity to look it up yet. It may say something about his family in Nova Scotia. I'm working night shifts at the hospital this week, so I may not get back to the archives until next week. I'll dig a little deeper and see if I can find out anything. When I was talking to my aunt Pearl, she also mentioned something about Lake Ainslie. Can't quite remember what the reference was in regard to that, but it wouldn't hurt to see if there are any livingstone's in Lake Ainslie. Is this in Inverness county? Barry