Livingstones of Inverness County, Nova Scotia

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

JOne of ohn Livingstone and Isabel McDonald's son was probably Malcolm Livingston a Roman Catholic setter born abt. 1803 or 1804 who is recorded in the 1871 at Port Hood near Judique. The Cape George Antigonish County Nova Scotia Livingstons decended from an earlier Malcolm Livingston are Presbyterians and I dont know that there is any proof that they are related to the Judique/Port Hood Livingstones. Others have suggested that the Cape George Antionish County, Nova Scotia Malcolm Livingstone pioneer was a brother of Angus Livingston b.1773 of Boularderie, Cape Breton. At this point I am not certain whom Colin's father but I am hoping that some information on the Whycocomagh area Livingstone will surface which connects them to an earlier Livingstone pioneer. We shall see. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

I have sent a message to the Whycocomagh historical society a few days ago, but so far have not gotten a response. Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, Me to. Do not fear I have heard back from Dr. James St. Clair of Mabou, Cape Breton who by a strange coincidence is related to the old Catharine Livingstone 1808-1912 of Mull River. His family attended her funeral in 1912. He is also related to the Whycocomagh Livingstones apparently. If I understand him correctly these are all the same families. Mabou is a few miles from Mull River and Whycocomagh. I will provide you with more details later. I think a throughall check of the deed index for Mull River and Whycocomagh in Inverness County in PEI and for Lot 55 in PEI would be a useful thing for you to do at some point. I am hoping I can hold the Inverness County deed index or indexes from the LDS on loaned microfilm. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

I'm on holidays next week, so I planned on spending maybe Monday at the Archives to look for the deed information. Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, Dr. St. Clair doenst think the Mull River Livingstons ever received the land at Mull River as a grant, but that wont affect Deed information as the index if you can find one for Inverness County will include only a record by date of the land purchases and sales which may show when the Mull River Livingstones first settled at Mull River and the Whycocomagh Livingstons first settled in that area. He thought the Livingston purchased their land.They apparentlly lived at Mull River, Skye Mountain and Whycocomagh and hopefully there will be some sort of index you can work with by Locality, Lot numbers and by family name. You could be looking for a John Livingston at Mull River before 1840 and also Colin and Alexander in the Mull River or Whycocomagh area. I am not sure if any lived early on at S.E Mabou nearby. regards, Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hello again Donald; Duncan Livingstone b.November 20, 1846 s/o Malcolm and Ann Livingstone, married Catherine Morrison b. 1846 d/o Murdock and Jane Morrison.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta, Thanks for that list. I am particularly interested in the Malcolm and Ann Livingston probably born in the early 1800's, parents of Duncan Livingston born in 1846. That could be yet another potential parents of Barry's ancestor Angus b.1856 and his brother John born in 1848. regards, Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

"morning Donald; after a brief search I found Malcolm Livingston, Dundas lot 55 and lot 53. Also, there was a Malcolm age 7 living on lot 55 in the 1891 census. I believe Malcolm bought the land from a Campbell. I have to do errands today:
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Donald; Duncan Livingston was living in 9 Mile House in 1825.
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Sorry Donald I got Malcolm and Duncan mixed-up.