Livingstones of Inverness County, Nova Scotia

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Jewel Brown1

Post by Jewel Brown1 »

Hi Roberta,
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

HI Roberta, Barry has some luck at the PEI Archives as I thought he would. He checked land records for Livingstons in Lot 55, Kings County PEI pertaining to his great-grandfather ANgus Livingston and found that the Colin that it mentioned in the obituary that died in the 1860's at Dundas, Kings County PEI is infact Angus Livingston's father. The only problem is that there are two versions of the obituary in two different publications which both indicate his Colins origins at Whycocomaugh and his death at Dundas, PEI but give a different age and birthdate. In any event Barry has proven that this Colin Livingstone was infact his ancestor. Dr. St.Clair checked the records for the Mull River-Whycocomaugh Livingstones but he found not Colin Livingston among them. Still I think Barry is making significant progress and has found his great-great grandfather which I am sure he is pleased about. The information regarding Colin Livingston and Malcolm Livingston in Mull River Whycocomagh may just be lost or no longer exists. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi All Thank you everyone. When I started this trek I didn't even know for sure who my great grandfather was. I now know who he is, Angus, and I have all his siblings as well. I now know who my great great grandfather was, Colin, and have dismissed many family myths handed down for about the last 100 years. I agree in that my roots are pointing to the Whycocomagh area. I have pretty much exhausted resources her on PEI, so now I need to plan a trip to Cape Breton. When? I'm not sure. Please if anyone sees anything that may be pertinent to my roots research please let me know through this forum. I'm busy now putting all the information in a tree online. This is my first experience at researching geneology and a realization of the thousands of hours that are devoted to the family trees of many families is certainly appreciated. I will post the link to the information when it is completed. Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, You have made much progress on your family research and you have had some good luck. Congratulations on that. Dr. St. Clair has been at tremendous help in understanding the Mull River and Whycocomaugh Livingstons but we have not been able to come up with your Colin Livingston in the Whycocomagh and Mull River information so far but it is certainly conceivable that he was there given the information on the obituary. The early records in this area are somewhat fragmentary and we dont have detailed census information prior to 1871 for the area in Nova Scotia for Whycocomagh and Mull River. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Ok.....I have a theory. http://www.electricscotland.com/canada/ ... pter39.htm Now here are the children of John Livingstone that married Kate Livingstone from PEI. John, Duncan, Hugh, Kate, Jane, Mary, Flora, and Ann. Now remember that their father's name is John, so calling a son,John, everday is just plain confusing, so they use their second name. So starting with the father John, son of the John that settled in 1824, what if his middle name was Colin. Then we have a John Colin Livingstone. First son was named John Colin, and he goes by John. Second son is John Duncan and they call him Johnnie. Third is Hugh and in the 1881 Canada census there is a Hugh Livingston living in Inverness county, and his mother of 68 years is living with his family. So this is the missing widow of Colin. Then there is Kate who I am betting is the Katherine who probably moved to PEI with her parents and is in 1892 living in USA. Jane....is an unknown and I have to assume she is still living in NS and maybe married. I have a Mary living in PEI who married John Martin of Dundas. Flora is an unknown and may be the widow in Cape Breton we have seen before. Ann stayed with her mother in Inverness county and is showed living with Catherine, Hugh, and his wife Mary. I don't think it is the sister Mary because she is married to John Martin in 1881. I know I'm going out on a bit of a limb with some of this but I think it really fits, but there are some things that don't. For this to work my Colin would have to included only the children that moved to PEI with Catherine and him on the deed on the transfer to Angus in 1892. Can everyone give me their impression of this scenario? I think it works. I know I have documentation on Angus, Johnnie, Katherine, Mary and John. The chapter in the book seems to miss Angus though. The deed I found said that Angus was older than John, so maybe he was older and was missed. He is the only one I can't account for. Do we have birth dates for any of John Livingstone's family that settled in Mull River in 1824? We could compare the years to dates in the PEI Census for 1881. I hope this doesn't look like rambling and everyone can see where I am going with this. Barry
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/ ... 115003.pdf Notice two above Catherine Livngstone. I think this is daughter Flora.
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

https://www.novascotiagenealogy.com/Ite ... &ID=170628 Here is Flora's death certificate. It lists her father and mother being in PEI.
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi All This theory has really gotten me thinking and I remember when I was looking for Colin Livingstone deeds at the provincial archives, I noticed a John Livingstone deed in 1806. I dismissed it because I didn't think it was relevent. This would be the same year as the arrival of the "Rambler" and some of the Livingstone relatives, possibly including the Mull River John Livingstone, who may have moved to Cape Breton, after spending 16 years on PEI. I think I have to go back to the Provincial archives to look for additional John Livingstone's from anywhere on PEI around 1806 and see if I can find information to assist with this theory. Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, This is old Kate, Dr. St. Clair's Aunt who lived to be 104 and died in 1912. There is some interesting local folklore about Catharine Livingston of Mull River, among them that she was some sort of witch according to Dr. St. Clair. She is indeed located in the 1881 Nova Scotia Census, Cape Breton, Glencoe District but according to Dr. St. Clair it is more accurate to state that she was living at Mull River. Dr. St Clair's mother was at her wake in 1912 which was held in her house at Mull River. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, Yes I believe Flora Adams was Catharine's daughter. regards, Donald