Happy Holidays

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Craig McClay Wilson

Happy Holidays

Post by Craig McClay Wilson »

Hi all, Wanted to wish everyone at the forum a nice and safe holiday season. Looking back at the 2007 forum threads, I think we have done much to advance the research and interest in our small,ancient Clan. We have made powerful arguments in support of justice being done regarding the Culloden marker and gained allies in that cause. The DNA PROFECT has made great strides. We have found valuable information on our roots, including work on Luing, Mull , Lindsaig and Dr.David Livingstone. Niall attended the Standing Coucil of Scottish Chiefs, giving further recognition to our Clan. We have started making plans for the 2009 Gathering. Some of us have made trips to
Jerry

Happy Holidays

Post by Jerry »

Well said Craig!
Jill Richmond3

Happy Holidays

Post by Jill Richmond3 »

And to you, Craig, and to everyone: a Happy Christmas and very best wishes for the New Year. Jill
Canadian Livingstone

Happy Holidays

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi All, Indeed as Craig has said it has been a busy year for Clan Maclea Livingstone. THere has been a great team effort on the Appin Marker issue and the DNA project under Andrew's direction is going full steam ahead. The marker issue has regretably become a complex issue that to some degree involves a bigger issue for Scots of what is the true story of Culloden and how do you tell it without offending one group or another. Prior to our protest, there had been discontent over the so called balanced intrepretation of history at the Culloden Battlefield Park and the new historic approach of the NTS. As a result there are now a number of people upset with what is happening at the park. Unfortunately the Appin Marker appears to have somehow been a casualty of this new direction. But there is hope and alot of people who do not accept the injustice of the NTS decision. The Appin marker needs to delt with fairly and with sensitivity by the NTS and should not get caught in the broader issue of two opposing Scottish visions of the Battle of Culloden.
Kyle2 MacLea

Happy Holidays

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Allow me to echo Craig is pointing out our successes and efforts over the past year, and echo Donald and Jerry in their hopes for the new year and our 2008 work ahead! For now though, indeed, a Happy, Wonderful Christmas and New Year to all!
Jill Richmond

Happy Holidays

Post by Jill Richmond »

Hello Everyone, I did try to post a message earlier on but suspect that I made a mistake in typing my email address and was posted as a new member of the forum etc, so I shall try again. First of all, Craig has encapsulated in his posting everything Clan Maclea has achieved in the past year, and my congratulations to everyone who has worked so hard to further our clan's cause. Donald, I am slightly puzzled by the idea that there are two opposing Scottish visions of the Battle of Culloden. To me there has only ever been one: this was the clash between the Catholic House of Stuart and the Protestant House of Hanover - to put it very simply. It was not a conflict between England and Scotland (unlike Bannockburn!), but a civil war. It set father against son, and brother against brother. There were also large areas of Scotland which took no part in the Jacobite rising - where I live was one of them, being strongly Presbyterian and also being geographically out of the way of the fighting. The north of England had Jacobite supporters also, although they turned out to be fairly ineffectual in the event.
Jill Richmond
Canadian Livingstone

Happy Holidays

I was only trying to point out the true nature of the problem in Scotland today and how it is clouding the judgement of some people and making things difficult for us. I was in no way supporting an opposing point of view which I profoundly disagree with regarding the marker. And let it not be forgotten that my family lost everything after 1745 including their Scottish homeland and did what they could out of neccessity to forge a new beginning in the frontier wilderness of Canada. Imagine the feeling as the ship sailed away from the Scottish coastline until Scotland was nothing more than a memory. Sorry to have offended anyone with my candor. I am sorry if I feel that our clan is caught in what is essentially a Scottish feud and the APpin Marker is some sort of pawn in all of this. Obviously to my way of thinking the simple and reasonable solution is to change the marker back to read APpin Marker, but there seems to be some sort of politics behind this whole thing. Maybe I am wrong but thats my assessment of the situation. regards, Donald
Kyle2 MacLea

Happy Holidays

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

The sacrifices of your family, Donald, are not forgotten here.
Jill Richmond

Happy Holidays

Post by Jill Richmond »

Dear Donald, I'm sorry if I have upset you because that most certainly was not my intention. I would never knowingly upset anyone on this forum. Please accept my apologies for causing you offence. I think all of us want the same thing regarding the Appin marker. We can only hope that 2008 will see a change of heart at The National Trust for Scotland, though I don't think we can bank on it. I am afraid that those in charge at the NTS, once they have taken a line of action, are not in the habit of altering course. Again, I send all of you Greetings for the Festive Season and Nollaig Chridheil agus Bliadhna Mhath Ur a 'huile duine. Jill
Jill Richmond
Canadian Livingstone

Happy Holidays

Nollaig Chridheil agus Bliadhna mhath ur! Merry Christmas to all and peace on earth and in Scotland. Donald