Another Livingstone Tartan

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

I don't remember if we discussed this tartan before, it's not an old one, it was designed in 1996.
Bachuil

Post by Bachuil »

I am not sure that it adds to life's rich tapestry! N
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hello, I am using Robert Bain's 1925 tartan book with a swatch print of our classic tartan design 1003?sourced from a tartan manufacter at that time as our principle tartan, but what the history of tartan was before the 1920's I cannot so far verify. I assume 1003 or some variance of it was worn by our clansmen before the twentieth century. Perhaps the Baron has some insight into old tartan pattern that his father, Uncles and cousins would have worn prior to the time he became Baron. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hello, Actually Robert Bain's Tartan book was published in 1938. My mistake. That same year Sir Thomas Innes of Learny then Lord Lyon of Arms, published "Tartans of the Clans & Families of Scotland" which also included a rare glimpse of a Livingstone tartan yet another variation of the red, green and black weave most commonly associated with the clan. Tartan 1003 with its now classic red, green and black weave has been suggested to have similarties with the old McDonnell of Kepoch tartan. The famous Morier painting of the Battle of Culloden commissioned by the Duke of Cumberland and using Highland prisoners as models interestingly enough features one highland soldier with a kilt containing a pattern somewhat similiar to McDonnell of Kepoch and Highland Livingstone 1003. There is apparently one earlier book published at the beginning of the twentieth century that may contain another Livingstone tartan pattern, but I not been able to locate a copy of it.
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

I agree that the tartan books in general ignored us.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle, Regarding the Morier painting circa 1740's, I would not know for certain whether the red/green tartan I am seeing from an actual highland prisoner was a clan tartan or a district tartan worn by more than one highland clan. It has often been stated that tartans specific to a clan came long after Culloden. I always find it intruiging when reading that old Donald Livingstone of Movern used to sit outside his hotel at Savary, Movern, dressed in his tartan, telling tales of Culloden. Donald Livingstone died in 1816 and I can only wonder which tartan pattern he wore. Was it a tartan worn by the Appin Regiment, perhaps similiar to a Stewart of Appin tartan or something similiar to our red green and black weave?