Mull Livingstone and Bachuil Livingstone DNA connection

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hello, Andrew Lancaster of our family DNA project has noted the match between someone with Mull Livingstone ancestry and the Bachuil Livingstones. This may not be entirely surprising as from my research of Mull Livingstones that immigrated to North America, a number of them claimed to actually originate from Movern which is in close proximity to the Bachuil Livingstones on the Isle of Lismore. While early census records show lots of Livingstone residing as tenant farmers at both Mull and Movern, neither Mull nor Movern were historically the focal point for Clan Livingstone, but the lands occupied for generations past by MacLeans,MacGilverary's and MacInnes. More likely the Mull/Movern Livingstones of the 19th century had by and large ancestral links to the Bachuil Livingstones on the Island and in fact some of their ancestors had some time before migrated to Movern and Mull becoming farmers amongst McLeans, MacGilverary, Clan McInnes and other original families. Those Livingstones worldwide with ancestral ties to the east and south east of the Isle of Lismore say in Appin and Ballachulish may prove to have a distinct DNA signature unlike the Bachuil Livingstones or some of the Mull/Movern families, but only after much more testing can we be certain of this. The reason that a recent Mull Livingstone descendant is not a DNA match with Dr. David Livingstone's brother's descendant may well support the folklore attributed to Ballachulish near Appin, that Dr. Livingstone's grandfather and several generations before him were from Ballachulish or neighbouring Lettermore and only later did the grandfather severall years after his 1774 marriage settle on a farm at Ulva near Mull as is commonly understood. With Andrew's announcement that the kin of Dr David Livingstone is not an apparent DNA match with the Bachuil Livingstones, a new understanding of the ancestral branches that constitute highland clan Livingstone are now beginning to slowly emerge. What an exciting time for Andrew and all of us who have supported his efforts and watched the project develop from its inception with the late David Livingstone. regards, Donald
Andrew Lancaster4

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

Thank you Donald! Despite the new complexity (I never realized how many Livingstones there were on Mull in the early 19th century for one thing!) I do think that the last few weeks have given some of the most important progress in the project for a few years. Perhaps very importantly for the project's success, it gives enough structure to what we know
Canadian Livingstone

Hello Andrew, The fact that so many Livingstones joined other families from Mull/Movern in the exodus to Canada in the early part of the 19th century is in part because there were organized efforts to colonize Brits, including
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Good points, Andrew! This work of Donald's, combined with the DNA data, is going to be invaluable at putting together our history.
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Thanks for that insight, Donald.
Graham Livingstone

Post by Graham Livingstone »

This is the start of our Livingstone Family tree and would love to participate in the DNA Test graham Livingstone Generation 5/12 on our list. Descendants of Ewen (Hugh) Livingstone Generation No. 1 1 .Ewen ( Hugh)! Livingstone was born 1817 in Swordle Chorrack Scotland. He married Catherine McDiarmid Oct 1842 in Glenmore. She was born 1819 in Morven Glenmore Scotland. Children of Ewen Livingstone & Catherine McDiarmid are i Margaret Livingstone b 05 May 1851 Glenmore Scotland. ii Hugh McDiarmid Livingstone b 14
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Send to me at ksm6 -at- cornell -dot- edu.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Graham, Welcome to the site. We are going through a sad time with the recent loss in February of our 93 year old Clan CHief, Baron Alastair Livingstone of Bachuil who has since the death of his father in 1915 been the heart and soul of our clan. Kyle McLea is involved in the DNA project with Andrew Lancaster and can get you up to speed on the details of the project. Andrew also has Australian Livingstone kin. Having a Movern Livingstone origin is of personal interest to me since my Livingstone ancestor Miles Livingstone (1775- 1850?) stated he was a native of Movern a few monts prior to sailing for Canada in 1812. A 37 marker DNA test for example has determined a number of Livingstone groups including one identified as being that of Dr. David Livingstone and another result characteristic of the Bachuil Livingstones originating from the Isle of Lismore and vicinity that includes Baron Livingstone's kin. Your participation in this test may well help also to verify a theory about the ancient origins of the Western Argyll Highland MacLea Livingstone which Baron Livingstone's family and that of Dr. David Livingstone. I dont have all the answers but I can say that there is a reasonably good possibility that your test results will match either the test results from the Bachuil Livingstone family group or Dr. David Livingstone if your family is from the Movern area. Anyways Kyle McLea and Andrew Lancaster, the clan's DNA project experts can fill you in with more details. 2007 was a very good year for Andrew and Kyle with a number of new participants in the DNA project and from all accounts 2008 looks like we will be seeing more and more Livingstones and Livingstons submitting their DNA to the project. Nice to hear from you and look forward to your participation in the project which I suspect will be well worth the effort for you and a great help to the MacLea Livingstone Society in it efforts to help identify the origins of our clan. If you have run across any other Livingstone families who are interested in the test, please feel free to tell them about the project. regards Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Thanks for going into more detail there, Donald.
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Kyle, the Americans invaded Canada, Occupied land and were beaten back by the Canadians