Mull Livingstone and Bachuil Livingstone DNA connection

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

HI Roberta, We like to think we won, but there are some historians who think that neither the Canadians or Americans actually won. Americans just got tired of the war as Jefferson and others soon found out that taking Canada would not be just a matter of marching into the Country as Jefferson and others at one time boasted. The experienced British Regulars, the Upper Canada Militia and their Indian Allies although very much in smaller numbers than the American armies that crossed in Canadian territory, managed in many of these battles to defeat the American invasion forces who were largely militia not enthusiastic about the war and terrified of the Indians. There is also the notion that their was poor leadership among the command structure.As the war progressed there was growing opposition particularly in New England and demonstrations even to the War in New York City.THe ultimate embarrassment to the Americans was the Britain invasion of Washington DC.Dolly Madison was not impressed with having to pack up at short notice. In the end both the United States and Great Britain were happy to end the war with a peace treaty and with the exception of almost going to war over the Confederates in the 1860's, the two nations have been good friends pretty much ever since. regards, Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Hi Roberta, Well, I may appear to be a rustic, but I have read a history book or three.
Canadian Livingstone

hi Kyle, Actually I know more about the War of 1812 than Scottish history which as we often delve into the history is a formidable challenge. I dont know the percentage but i do know that there were signficant numbers of catholic highlanders and that some came to Canada. I assume that Roberta and Jewel's ancestor was one of them. regards, Donald
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Definitely true that there were many catholic highlanders, no question.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle, Ok here is a question I need you to work on with Andrew and the guys in Texas. If two branches of the Mull Livingstones or more accurately the McLeas divided in the 1500's one remained Roman Catholic the other branch Presbyterian would not the DNA test results of their descendants confirm that they all came from the same ancestor about 500 years ago. I am curious what you, Andrew and the texas lab people would say about this. I think I know the answer, but with DNA explanations are not always simple as I have found out. regards, Donald
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

As I understand it, it would show they had a common ancestor.
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hello again Donald; I have a question: