Livingstones of Rutherglen

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Lary and Judy Osborn

Post by Lary and Judy Osborn »

I am doing research for my husband's family of Livingstone's. According to family history they are a direct relation to Dr. David Livingstone. Their family line, according to the Livingstone bible we have, were all born in Rutherglen in the 1800's. The family ended up in Ontario and then some came to Michigan. The family name started with: Neil Livingston b. 2nd March 1834, Parish Dumbarton  and married Elizabeth Cochran b.23rd March, Rutherglen. I have all of the eleven children's name and birthdates and where they were born. Also, I have some of their date of death. One daughter, Elizabeth D. Livingstone, married a Spear, which became our g grandmother. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...Judy
D.W.Livingston

Post by D.W.Livingston »

Hello Judy, I don't know if anyone here has that genealogical information. We were talking about creating a database to hold the different information as you have described. One thing I can suggest, which isn't part of this group is there is a Yahoo Group I am a member of that does Genealogy research for members. The owner is very nice and is going to Edinburgh next Thursday to do some research for me as well as a few other members. The group name is "Scottish Family Tree Researchers" and can be found at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scottishf ... searchers/ I hope this helps and please let this group know your finds. Thank you, David
David Wyse Livingston
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Good suggestion, David.  People willing to do free searches for people in Scotland are a golden opportunity.  I have now joined the group as well.
Lary and Judy Osborn

Post by Lary and Judy Osborn »

Thanks for the tip, David. I did join the group and we will see if any one can come up with the connection for me. Judy
Andrew Lancaster1

Post by Andrew Lancaster1 »

Because many Livingstones believe they had connections to Dr Livingstone, but it is very hard to prove such an old Argyll conection with a paper trail, it is a family which is ideally suited to DNA tests. Rob Livingstone, a member of this discussion group, runs a project which is now beginning to find some real patterns amongst Livingstones and related surnames like Maclea. What gets checked are only a few "markers" in the DNA which are specially chosen because (a) they are passsed from father to son, like a surname, and (b) they are markers which change just often enough that they tend to change within the timeframes in which genealogists are concerned. The one requirement is that you must be a male who was born with the surname, and got it from your natural father (not adopted etc). Do you have any male Livingstone cousins? Several of the families on Rob's webpage, which summarises results so far in a anonymous way, believe they have connections to Dr Livingstone, but until now there is no one who has a proven "paper trail" connection. It would be very interesting if your Livingstones could contribute to the project! Best Regards Andrew Lancaster