Livingstones and Livingstons in Canada Circa 1901

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

From the 1901 Canadian Census it can be determined that there were after close to 100 years of Livingstone settlement there were 650 families who spelled thsir name like our Chief resding in Canada. The breakdown across Canada was Ontario (366), Nova Scotia (103) Manitoba (45) PEI (45) BC (37) Territories(25)New Brunswick (16)and Quebec (13) Most of the Manitoba Livingstones/Livingstons that made of the early Red River Settlers left for Ontario Canada or Iowa in the U.S before 1840. It should be noted that a significant number of Livingstones that originated from the highlands dropped the e at the end of their name. THere were aristocratic Livingstons a lowland Scot family a branch which settled in the late 1600's in Colonial New York and some of their descendants may have made their way to Canada by the 1800's from neighbouring New York State. Those families going by the name Livingston in the 1901 Canadian Census numbered 1058. Province by Province the breakdown was Ontario (569) Nova Scotia (142)Manitoba (81) New Brunswick (73) PEI (68) Quebec (46) Territories (43) British Columbia (36)These statistics derived from Automated Genealogy and the 1901 Canadian Census.
Suzanne Livingstone

Post by Suzanne Livingstone »

Thanks Donald.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Suzanne, Yes on my father's side the Movern Highland Livingstones spelt it Livingstone or Livingston, while on my mom's side the New York State Livingston's spelt it Levingston. Havent attempted to
Alison (Livingstone) Stacey

Post by Alison (Livingstone) Stacey »

Just of note there are more on Cape Breton Census my branch for some strange reason is spelt Levingston - though this is the only place I have seen it spelt like that.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Alison, Right you are. Following the 1901 Canadian Census I noticed in Nova Scotia for example there were those whose name was recorded as Levingston 23 entries in all. Primarily these were residents of Port Hood Mines, Inverness County and Glace Bay in Cape Breton District. Leavingston was another spelling variation with 12 entries in the 1901 Census all of them this time listed as being all residents of Port Hood Mines, Inverness. Could these families be kin to the Port Hood Mines, INverness County residents spelling their names as Levingston.
Ralph Livingstone

Post by Ralph Livingstone »

Our branch of the Livingstone family also came to the US through Canada (my GGGG Grandfather traveled on the brig Rambler from Argyll to PEI in June of 1806). I've noticed within my own family tree, a variety of spellings of our name. For instance, a codicil in my Great-Great Grandmother's will reads: "
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Ralph, Welcome to the Clan McLea/Livingstone Forum. If you have not noticed yet we also have an informative Clan MacLea/Livingstone Website which is full of interesting historical information about our highland clan. Are you related to Donald and Mary Livingstone of Movern or Mull who settled about 1806 in Prince Edward Island and located on Lot 65 Nine Mile Creek, Charlotte Township, Queens County,PEI? This lot was adjacent to or part of Lord Selkirk's settlement in PEI. My ancestor Miles Livingstone/Livingston settled with an original group of highlanders and Irish folk at Lord Selkirks Western Canada Settlement in what became Winnipeg, Manitoba a few years later in 1812. Our DNA Genealogy project is helping to identify branches of the Livingstone family and to link Livingstone's world wide to their Livingstone ancestral family group and kin through DNA testing. Among the participants of the project are those who are proven to have an ancestral connection with our Clan Chief, Baron Niall Livingstone and DR. David Livingstone regards, Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Ralph Livingstone

Post by Ralph Livingstone »

Thanks for the welcome, Donald! I actually posted a time or two sometime back (maybe a year or more ago), but haven't had much time to check in, because of business and family obligations. Donald and Mary were my Great-Great-Great-Great Grandparents. My lineage is from Donald to Duncan to Allan to Hugh to Alton to Donald (my father). We had a hard time tracing our roots past Hugh, until my brother David located his baptismal record - listing Allan and Janet (Jennet) as his parents, and his birthplace as Nine Mile Creek, PEI. Prior to that, we had believed Hugh had been born in Scotland, and had entered the US through PEI. We are planning on participating in the DNA project. We'll probably try to get my father to be the one tested, as he's the oldest living generation in our family. Best Regards - Ralph
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Ralph, Well it is nice to have you back for a visit. We are in very much interested in hearing from the decendants of Atlantic Canada Livingstone pioneers that settled in PEI and Nova Scotia in the early 1800's. As most originated from Mull or neighbouring Movern it will be interesting to see if how the families connect with other families from this part of Western Argyll through the MacLea Livingstone DNA project. No doubt Andrew Lancaster and Kyle McLea of the MacLea Livingstone DNA Project will be in touch with you sooner or later regarding participation in the project. regards. Donald
Kyle2 MacLea

PEI DNA signatures

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Dear Ralph, Sorry it took a few days to get back to you! Glad you found us again--welcome back! I am one of the three co-admins of the Livingstone/McLea DNA Project, along with Andrew Lancaster and Russ Livingston.