Livingstones and Livingstons in Canada Circa 1901

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

The numbers for Livingstones, Livingstons listed in the 1901 Census that mentioned are actually individual family members, principal householder, wife and children etc, so the actual total number Livingstone,Livingston etc householders would be quite a bit less that originally indicated. Sorry about that. In any event from the 1901 Census information on householders and family members including birthdates can be located and is of great use for those looking for their Livingstone, Livingston etc ancestors living in Canada circa 1901. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Ralph, What year was Hugh Livingstone born and when did your Livingstone family leave PEI? I dont see Allan and Janet Livingstone or their son Hugh in the 1901 PEI Census so it must of been before then. regards, Donald
Ralph Livingstone

Post by Ralph Livingstone »

Hugh was born in 1870 as I recollect (I don't have the records in front of me right at this moment). He shows up as an 11-year-old with his parents and 7 older siblings on lot 65 in the 1881 census. Hugh certainly left PEI before the 1901 census - because my Grandfather, Alton Hugh Livingstone was born in Mass. USA in March of 1898. Hugh's parents, Allan and Janet (Jennet) died in 1888 and 1891 respectively - so of course they would not show up in the later census either.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Ralph, Ok I see that Allan Livingstone 1818-1888 and his wife Jenett MacDonald 1825-1891 of Lot 65 Queens County, PEI are deceased prior to the 1901 Canadian Census for PEI. Both buried at Canoe Cove Cemetery Lot 65. Havent found their son Hugh yet perhaps another spelling or he is somewhere else in Canada or the U.S. by 1901. regards, Donald
Ralph Livingstone

This census listing from Queens County seems to match up with everything else we have - the only anomaly in the 1881 census is with Allan (senior's) birthplace. The census indicates he was born in Scotland - all other records point to his birth being in PEI - as his birthdate in 1815/1816 places him solidly in Canada for around 10 years after his father landed.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Ralph, Well it could be a mistake. Our census records are full of them.Doesnt seem likely that he arrived so many years after his father and grandfather. The research that has been done by other kin on Donald and Mary of Lot 65 Queens County and their descendants certainly seems to mesh with your conclusions about your ancestor Hugh's ancestral line. Looks like your on the right track. The one thing I am certain about though is the Lord Selkirk connection. Selkirks settler began arriving around 1803 from Isle of Skye, Uist, and Mull settling on Lots 57, 60 and 62 in what I believe in the Charlottetown, PEI vicinity. I dont know that Lot 65 was for certain one of Selkirks lot and this may not be correct. Certainly the Livingstones on Lot 65 were nearby to the Scottish settlers that Selkirk settled on these other lots and they were all around the Charlottetown area I presume. I was confused about the 1901 Census data for the provinces of Canada, because the collection I was looking at is a listing that includes entire families not just householders. If one took the time they could however calculate the total number of householders for each province without too much difficulty. regards, Donald
Ralph Livingstone

Thanks, Donald - My brother told me he was planning on looking into the Selkirk link, and he will be trying to fill in some details with a visit to PEI. Are you aware of anyone having made headway tracing Donald and Mary, or Duncan and Catherine back into Scotland? I've looked through just about everything I could find in published Mull/Argyllshire/Morvern baptismal and marriage records, but haven't found a thing. Civil birth records didn't start in the area until many years after the period of 1750-1805. The closest I've come so far was a reference to a Margeret Livingston born on Mull in 1805 - the same year as Duncan and Catherine's first child Margaret. Her parents are listed as Catherine and Archibald(?) though - so, no match.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Ralph, It certainly is frustrating that there are missing records prior to 1800's in Mull and Movern that would be help to your research. I have my great-great-great grandfather Livingstones marriage record, and a possible baptismal record but that was only because the family during those times had departed from Movern for other locations in Scotland. It is my understanding that prior to the departure from Scotland of our Mull and Movern families in the early 1800's some of them moved around a bit in Argyll. My middle aged ancestor Miles Livingstone, an older brother Donald Livingstone Jr. boatbuilders and a younger boatbuilder also named Donald Livingstone age about 20 son of Neil Livingstone all of Movern origin had been living in the Isle of Islay for a few years when boarded a schooner "The Staffa at Bowmore, Isle of Islay in June of 1812 for a journey to Sligo Ireland
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Ralph, Having a detailed passenger list is certainly an advantage to your research. The passenger list from "The Rambler" lists your ancestor Donald and Mary Livingston and their children and their wives and includes their ages in 1806 when they sailed for PEI which is a nice bonus. Your lucky to have acess to that detailed document. There is a Selkirk Settlement connection to the family, I just dont know if Lot 65 was considered part of the Selkirk Settlement. I am in the process of getting more info on this settlement. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Ralph, I understand from John Collins research that Lot 65 where Donald Livingstone settled was part of Lord Selkirk's property in the Charlottetown, PEI vicinity. Donald regards,