DNA Project

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Roberta Ann

DNA Project

Post by Roberta Ann »

More on the entry showing John. Daniel Davids' father was John b. 1807 but, D.D. also had a brother John b. 1831. Additionally, D.D. had brothers Thomas, died very young, George b. circa 1840, Andrew d. when he was around 31-32 Angus b. 1837 who married Margaret McNeil then Mary Petrie. Sisters Christine b. 1843 m. Captian James Carlin. Anne b. 1847 m. Allan MacEachern. Katherine b. 1847 married a soldier and went to England. Mary b. 1833 m. John O'Rourke and Brigid d. at age 14. Thus is the information that I have:
Canadian Livingstone

DNA Project

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

HI Roberta, Then Bridget we can account for not being in the 1881 Census she passed away around this time. The Census could be incorrect, but that researcher could also be in error. Charles did not have any brothers so John must be wrong? regards, Donald
Roberta Ann

DNA Project

Post by Roberta Ann »

Donald, then I don't know who Elfie was:
Canadian Livingstone

DNA Project

Hi ROberta, I think then the 1881 Census version of the family is more accurate compared with other version. regards, Donald
Roberta Ann

DNA Project

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald, you say that you think that the 1881 census is the more accurate of the 2.
Roberta Ann

DNA Project

Post by Roberta Ann »

Donald , I am going to try to confirm the 1881 census information; to be or not to be wrong. Regards, Roberta
Canadian Livingstone

DNA Project

HI Roberta, I cant explain all of the variances with the 1881 Census info but I would say generally that the census record are more reliable as to listing names of a family that individual researchers. Clearly there are some errors on the Lowpoint Livingstone webpage. One of the reasons I have avoided doing my own webpages and sharing my own database info is that I dont feel comfortable with LDS approach of confusing researchers with inacurate family data. Some genealogical websites make it very difficult to get corrections made. I was looking at a website the other day that ten years later still has not made corrections. Sure there are errors in the census but most of time that is people who do not give their correct age. My great-great grandfather gave a different age in each census. Quite annoying. All I can say is that usually when I can try to check and compare subsequent census records to see if names and dates match. I wonder if there is was a 1871 Census for Nova Scotia where could compare. At least the census taker was correct about there being one son. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

DNA Project

Hi Roberta, It is interesting that there is a Low Point Lighthouse in the Sydney Harbor area not far from Lingan where your Livingston family lived. Any chance your ancestor John Livingston lived at Low Point in the Sydney Nova Scotia area. Sydney is adjacent to Lingan and also a mining area. Can we pinpoint for certain which Low Point it was? I thought it was in Inverness County on the West Coast of Cape BReton but now I am wondering if it refers to a Low Point that is in the Sydney area close to Lingan. Is there any way we can verify the precise location of John's land grant in Cape Breton in 1818. regards. Donald
Canadian Livingstone

DNA Project

HI Roberta, It it is also known that John livingston and Christy McPhees son john was born and baptised in Sydney in 1807 not far from Lingan and the Low Point Lighthouse. Any chance this was the Low Point area where he received his 1818 Land grant. There seems to be another Low Point on the west coast of Cape Breton so i just want to make sure that this is a wierd coincidence or an error. Any help on this one would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps you could check your original documents of your ancestor John. regards, Donald
Roberta Ann

DNA Project

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hello Donald; John Livingstones will of February 1853 begins John Livingstone of Low Point in the Municipality of Sydney, Cape Breton.