DNA Project

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Roberta Ann

DNA Project

Post by Roberta Ann »

I have, just now, ordered the 67 marker test - male.
Ralph Livingstone

DNA Project

Post by Ralph Livingstone »

Hello, Roberta - I am curious which ship John came over on, and where you located the information? I have been somewhat frustrated myself, with the inaccuracies in many of the transcribed records that are available on the Internet. Even the reports of the highly researched and well-documented 1806 "Rambler" voyage disagree in some details from site to site. I have found at least 3 different dates for that one passenger list - departing Tobermory June 30; arriving on PEI on June 30; and departing Thurso on November 8 of that year. Some people transcribing the list seem to feel compelled to rearrange and reorganize the records - very likely losing relationship details that the order of the original record may suggest. I'm also convinced that many researchers that are transcribing original records seem to have a rather dubious "attention to detail".
Roberta Ann

DNA Project

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hello Ralph, John came over in July, I believe the 6th, 1806 on the ship Humphries. Ships lists are available on the web. John was born on Mull.
Roberta Ann

DNA Project

Post by Roberta Ann »

Correction Ralph.
Andrew Lancaster4

DNA Project

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

This is great news for all those interested in the genealogy of the clan Roberta! Welcome! Andrew
Roberta Ann

DNA Project

Post by Roberta Ann »

Thank you Andrew for continuing Robs' interest in searching for truth contained in our genealogy through the miracle of DNA.
Canadian Livingstone

DNA Project

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Roberta, Welcome to the forum. I think Ralph is correct that there are some frustrating descrepancies in the Atlantic Canada Livingstone info as there are in the collections of the some of the large genealogy databases througout the internet. How I am approaching that problem for the Atlantic Canada Livingstones and Livingstones throughout Canada is to work initiallly with the contributions of secondary researchers and then attempt to locate primary researchers and records in the future. Anotherwards if possible try and verify information. Of course that is not always easy and is not always possible . As more kin from Atlantic Canada arrive on the scene perhaps new info will be discovered to greatly improve our knowledge. As I am new to the Atlantic Canada family research just having work for a few years on some pioneer Livingstones in Ontario and Manitoba, I am learning as I go. What I have at this point is a very basic understanding of who settled where in the early 1800's in Nova Scotia and PEI. So far as folks have recently arrived on the scene I have been able to understand where they link up with this list of Atlantic
Canadian Livingstone

DNA Project

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Roberta, ONe other thing. Perhaps you are descended from John Livingstone and Isabella McGregor b. abt. 1786 who arrived from Mull and settled in Queens County PEI in 1806. I dont know if this John is connected to Ralphs' Queen County, PEI ancestors but that may be the case. Certainly Livingstones from my experience settled with their kin and encouraged their brothers, sisters and parents, aunts and uNcles to join them if possible. There are a few pioneer John Livingstones from Mull that settled in Atlantic Canada in the early 1800's so it may at some point lead to some confusion,including a John Livingstone 1784-1859 who was married to a Christy McPhee and settled at Low Point around 1806 and is the ancestor of the Mabou Livingstones of Inverness County, Nova Scotia. regards, Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Roberta Ann

DNA Project

Post by Roberta Ann »

We were always told that one of John L. brother went to Ontario.
Roberta Ann

DNA Project

Post by Roberta Ann »

Thanks Donald, but, in a land grant 1818 John L native of Scotland with a wife and 6 children applied for Lots on Low Point.