DNA Project

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Jewel Brown1

DNA Project

Post by Jewel Brown1 »

Hello Andrew, I am a descendant of John Livingstone who arrived on PEI in 1806. I read your comment on Catholic Scots being so rare. My Livingstones are Catholic, so I'am curious. Could you explain to me further why this is? do you know if there are any other Catholic Livingstones on the Forum? I guess I'm feeling like my Livingstones are the only ones here who are
Roberta Ann

DNA Project

Post by Roberta Ann »

Wow Donald 500 years.
Roberta Ann

DNA Project

Post by Roberta Ann »

Andrew, didn't Mary, Queen of Scots have secret Masses.
Canadian Livingstone

DNA Project

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Roberta, Andrew and Kyle are the ones in the know of the DNA project, but you could possibly get results a near match with the marker values between two test MacLea Livingstone test subjects whose family lived in the Mull/Movern area of Western Argyll and from the results all you could say it that they shared the same ancestor up to say 500 years ago. I just saying I am not certain that a match neccessary means that the other person from Mull is a third cousin. He might be an eighth cousin. Matching results would lead one to conclude that the two persons were however descended from the same ancestor with a degree of certainty that is pretty good. Anotherwards I am thinking there may be matching with Mull Livingstones just dont know that they all will be third or fourth cousins, some could much more distantly related and still I should think have matching DNA. But of course Andrew and Kyle probably have a better sense of how one understands the results. Lets say we have distant cousins out there who we share an ancestor from some distant time perhaps asI said as long ago as 500 years in Mull at the time when the reformation occurred. I guess what I am saying is that it seems possible to me that we find descendents of both faiths that are ancient branches of the same old Maconlea-Livingstone family group. Anyways I am just wondering if that might show up in the tests. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

DNA Project

Hi Jewel, Welcome back. I made the comment as well that the majority of Livingstones are Presbyterians in Canada and I would presume in Western Argyll that includes Mull. Some however would be Scottish Episcopalian, Baptist and Roman Catholic I should think.I would suspect that John Livingstone's family were Catholic for centuries in Scotland, but I cant say that for certain. Certainly it makes it easier to locate cousins, but I just dont know how many other Livingstone families that settled in Nova Scotia or PEI were Roman Catholic. I only knew about the John Livingstone family at Low Point, Cape Breton, but I am wondering about the family that settled around Judique. For the Atlantic Canada families a look at the census records for each of the families gives a breakdown for each family by religion if one is looking to determine the relgion of the children and grandchildren of the original pioneer Livingstones who settled in Canada in the early 1800's. I am hoping that we can get some info from Livingstone still living in Nova Scotia and PEI and historical societies and answer more questions people have on these Livingstone families in Atlantic Canada. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

DNA Project

Hi Roberta, Catholicism endured despite the years of
Canadian Livingstone

DNA Project

ROberta and Jewel, According to the 1901 Census there are a number of old Livingstones living in close proximity at Lingan, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia some or all of these oldtimers are possible grandsons of John Livingstone and Christy McPhee perhaps. Lingan, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia 1901 Census pg.13 Angus Livingstone b. Oct. 16,1837 Wife Mary Livingstone b. Aug. 15, 1837 Lauchy Livingstone b.Aug.15, 1822 Ann Livingstone
Canadian Livingstone

DNA Project

Hi Roberta, According to the 1901 Census there are a number of old Livingstones living in close proximity at Lingan, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia some or all of these oldtimers are possible grandsons of John Livingstone and Christy McPhee perhaps. Lingan, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia 1901 Census pg.13 Angus Livingstone b. Oct. 16,1837 Wife Mary Livingstone b. Aug. 15, 1837 Lauchy Livingstone b.Aug.15, 1822 Ann Livingstone
Kyle2 MacLea

DNA Project

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

If the two testees are related in the last 500 years, the match will be quite obvious at 67 markers and probably 37 as well.
Jewel Brown1

DNA Project

Post by Jewel Brown1 »

Hello Donald,