DNA Project

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

DNA Project

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Roberta, Thats great then I assume that the focus of your research is on your family connection to Low Point, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia family line of John Livingstone and Christy McPhee not the PEI John Livingtone settler. You have established your individual family line which is great. Do you have a family historian who passed on information. Did they know much about the Low Point Livingstones? Hopefully the Low Point and Mabou Livingstones can help you further sort of details of your John Livingstone. Yes some of the Ontario Livingstone some of which came from Mull and Movern may have some family connection to those who settled in Atlantic Canada, but so far I have no solid evidence of that. THe more Livingstones with a Canadian connection we can get into the DNA program with a Mull-Movern origin the better sense we will eventually have of possible family connections. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

DNA Project

Hi ROberta, Any chance your father had two brothers Stanley and Daniel Livingstone and his mother and theirs was Anne Connolly b.about 1878? regards, Donald
Roberta Ann

DNA Project

Post by Roberta Ann »

Yes, Donald.
Jewel Brown1

DNA Project

Post by Jewel Brown1 »

Hello Roberta, This is your cousin Jewel.
Roberta Ann

DNA Project

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Jewel, long time no hear. Thank you for the offer.
Jewel Brown1

DNA Project

Post by Jewel Brown1 »

Roberta, I have a question for you.
Roberta Ann

DNA Project

Post by Roberta Ann »

An interesting question, Jewel.
Andrew Lancaster4

DNA Project

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

Any chance the religion came by marriage? In Australia I know this sometimes happened. Families who'd be strongly protestant in England lost their interest in the issues and got flexible. Of course the difference was still seen as important until perhaps after WW2, but nevertheless families did convert once you had a country where so many Irish and British were inter-marrying. In any case genealogically this is definitely a possible lead. Catholic Scots were not all that common. So it does seem worth checking whether they really arrived as Catholics. Best Regards Andrew
Roberta Ann

DNA Project

Post by Roberta Ann »

Thanks for your reply Andrew.
Canadian Livingstone

DNA Project

Hi ROberta, I would doubt it an error or a later conversion. While I agree with you most of our Western Argyll Livingstones became Protestants and it would have been difficult in the less remote areas of the Highlands close to the Presbyterian dominated lowlands to practice the Catholic faith certainly there must have been some who quietly maintained their faith. Certainly some of your cousins close and more distant with a connection to John Livingstone and Christy McPhee may well have family ancestors who were likewise Roman Catholic. Of course with the DNA testing it will be interesting to see how your family matches a branch of your highland Scot family that did