Livingstones of Nova Scotia

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Jewel Brown1

Post by Jewel Brown1 »

I just thought I would let Donald and anyone else who might be interested, in my family of Livingstone's in Nova Scotia,
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Jewel, Your are lucky to have that original information. Have you seen the early Cape Breton Census records? I think there is one as early as 1838. I am going to check out my local reference Library and see if the Ontario Genealogical Society has a copy in their Nova Scotia section. If not our main library downtown may have a copy. I dont know at this point which districts are listed and which are not, but I can probably figure it out. regards, Donald Many of the settlers boarded a ship from Tobermory Mull or the family stated they were from Mull. Those travelling from Tobermory, Mull might also have originated from neighbouring Movern where some of my Livingstone kin are connected. The tradition which hopefully has a basis in truth is that many of these Livingstones in PEI and Nova Scotia come from the Mull area. I appreciate you sharing any of this information with us and I suspect that it will prove helpfull to future Atlantic Canada Livingstone researchers that make contact with us. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel, One other thought. What was the death date for John Livingstone and Christy McPhee's son John Livingstone? All that I saw was something like "after 1891" in the other records. regards' Donald
Jewel Brown1

Post by Jewel Brown1 »

John Livngstone born June 7,1807 died May 1, 1900
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel, Thank-you for that information. You have been your Livingstone research for quite some time now.Livingstones are the last in a series of families for more than 10 years I have been researching. I used to spend a great deal of time in our provincial archives. Have you seen the Low Point Livingstone site on the internet? I was not certain about the information there on Daniel and Ann's family and wondered if you had noticed it in the past. There seems a slight variance from what I thought to be correct for this family. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

REgarding the other ship the "Rambler" which also arrived in 1806 in PEI I would agree that most of those aboard, the Livingstones, McLeans, Camerons and McInnis's were likely from Movern and perhaps some from neighbouring Mull. Movern is the ancient homeland of Clan McInnis and some of them were closely connected with the Movern Livingstones through Marriage. The McLeans were located in both Mull and in Movern with large group of them in Northern Mull near Tobermory where the ship sailed from. Aboard the Rambler was Donald Livingston and his family that settled on Lot 65 Queens County, Nine Mile Creek, Prince Edward Island. Looking at the names and having some familiarity the names from looking at Movern/Mull census records in the past few years I am would agree with the family historians on this. regards, Donald
Jewel Brown1

Post by Jewel Brown1 »

Yes Donald, I have seen the Livingstones from Low Point site. I use to correspond with Jane Lindsay but haven't heard from her lately. She did a lot of work on the Livingsones. I haven't looked at it in a while.What is the variance you need to know about on the Daniel & anne's familly. Would be more than happy to help.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel, Is Susan's record of Donald Daniel Livingstone and Ann Carlin correct? Was there both a Matilda and Bridget Livingstone in that family? The 1881 Census record looks more different. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

REgarding the McPhee families in Nova Scotia. They are Scottish primarily and with roots either in Movern or neighbouring Mull. The "Rambler" which sailed from Tobermory, Mull in 1806 to PEI was loaded with tenants probably from Movern and possibly Mull including McPhees. The 1779 Argyll Census for Movern includes families with the name McPhee. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

I might add that the McPhees in the 1779 Movern record are listed as neighbours of a family of Livingstones. It was a John Livingstone and a Christy McPhee who settled in Cape Breton in the early 1800's at Low Point. regards. Donald