Livingstones of Nova Scotia

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

P. E. I.

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi ROberta, There definitely was discrimination in every shape and form in those times and I see that many Catholic Highlanders that arrived in PEI were redirected to Cape Breton. Hopefully we can find out more about that from some of the old catholic highland families that still live in PEI and have an interest in their family history. regards, Donald
Roberta Ann

P. E. I.

Post by Roberta Ann »

Donald, I agree wholeheartedly.
Canadian Livingstone

P. E. I.

HI Roberta, At this point I am hoping that an expert on Mull and its people can be contacted to give me a better sense of the population of Catholics on Mull and the adjacent islands and those families who may have practiced that faith in the 1700's and 1800's. Not sure what is known about this, but hopefully someone does. I am kind of curious as how close I get to finding the exact location where John Livingston lived. Will see how far I get. As for PEI and Nova Scotia I suspect that would not be difficult to familiarize one selve with the religious history there. I went through the entire 1881 Census for Nova Scotia and sorted out the Livingstones by religion; the majority were Presbyterians with catholic Livingstones concentrated at CapeBreton in Lingan, Judique and Port Hood.
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Good evening Donald;
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta, The other name you mentioned is the name of the United parish of Kilninian an Kilmore Parish where many of the Mull settlers in Canada came from. THis Tobermory other parts of Mull and neighbouring small islands including yes you guessed are ancestor John Livingston's favourite Island of Staffa. i found it a interesting coincidence that the Chief is heading there shortly for a visit. I am sorry about the difficulties you are experiencing in connecting with your ancestors in Scotland and in Atlantic Canada. This is a sad situation that discrimination was at the root of the lack of record keeping for your ancestors. One of the many dark chapters in human history I guess. And it seems never ending. I am ashamed to say i have little faith in God and even less in humanity judging by their actions over the past 5000 years. Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Staffa

Bachuil, Sounds like a scenic place with some interesting geology to it. Have fun and don't forget to take your camera. Donald