Other ships to PEI, early 1800s?

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Ralph Livingstone

Post by Ralph Livingstone »

Hello, all - I'm interested in information anyone on the forum may have put together on ships in addition to the Rambler of Leith, that had Livingstones on their passenger lists during the early 1800's - especially those settling in Lot 65. I thought it might be interesting to explore the possibility of tracing ancestors back farther into Scotland based on their relatives that may have left better records behind than I have found for my own so far. I have started by looking at other voyages of the Rambler - but that effort was not able to move too far forward - as she was lost in Newfoundland on 29 Oct 1807, along with her Master and 137 others.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Ralph, I ordered a book a couple of weeks ago from a Prince Edward Island company that should contain most of the passenger lists available for the early Prince Edward Island settlers. Some of the vessels that landed in PEI are available on the internet such as the "Rambler" and the "Humphreys" which arrived in 1806 and are the only ones that i know of so far that dropped off Livingstones. I have some experience with Movern research as I have been doing it for the last four years. Prior to your ancestors leaving Movern or Mull there is not much. There is a 1779 Argyll tenants list for Argyll that includes tenants in Movern and Mull communities. No doubt your ancestor's father and grandfather may be included on the list somewhere. Lots of Donald, Hugh and Johns in Movern at this time including the famous Donald Livingstone who rescued the Stewart of Appin banner from the Battlefield of Culloden. He is listed in the 1779 Argyll Tenants list at Savary with other Livingstone's and McInnis's who were an old family in the Savary, Movern area related by marriage to some Livingstones in the area. regards, Donald
Ralph Livingstone

Hi again, Donald - I would be interested in learning what you find out from your book. Is the 1779 Argyll tenants list available anywhere online? In any case, I hope to spend at least a few hours researching records in Morvern or other areas of Argyll, when we visit there for the Gathering next year. I don't know how intact any of the church records are after Culloden - but wouldn't it be something to find out you were a distant cousin of "The Donald"? Best Regards - Ralph
Bachuil

Knowledge

Post by Bachuil »

I am often amazed at the depth of your knowledge and I am sure that I speak for many when I say how much your contributions add to our forum. Well done! Niall
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Canadian Livingstone

Hello Chief, Alas I wish there was more to know regarding Ralph's inquiries on his ancestors from Movern or Mull. His ancestor Donald Livingstone arrived in Prince Edward Island in 1806 and records there indicated that Donald acquired his land on Lot 65 in Queens County PEI from Lord Selkirk who had established a settlement in the present day Charlottetown area around 1803. Ralph is fortunate that detailed passenger list for the vessel "The Rambler"
Ralph Livingstone

Where there are no records Donald, there will sadly be little to learn. I still feel it may be worth looking into whatever civil records, tenants lists etc. that I may be able to locate. Even though I will likely not be able to trace Donald and family positively back into Morvern, I may pick up a few helpful and interesting clues here and there. In any case - It should prove very interesting just to visit that area of Scotland. I have to concur with the Baron's assessment of your contributions to this forum - I have learned more from your posts (and the other experts here) than from any other source.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Ralph, Thank-you for that. It is just basically my hobby to do family history research and of course the fact that my ancestor Miles Livingstone stated in his 1812 marriage record that he was a "native of Morvain" has given me an heightened interest in researching anything to do with this mainland area adjacent to the Isle of Lismore where the Baron's family lived. Now the weird and frustrating thing about old Miles is that although he stated he was born in Movern apparently in the year 1775, the baptismal records for the neighbouring Isle of Lismore clearly indicate there was in that same year a Miles Livingstone son of Donald Livingstone and Christian Campbell baptised at CLoichlea on the Isle of lismore. There is also an adult Miles Livingstone listed in the baptismal records who probably was an Uncle of the above mentioned Miles Livingstone. As the Chief has pointed out to me in the past the name "Miles" is rather uncommon among the family records of Western Argyll and when it did occur among the Livingstones in Western Argyll it seemed to have been peculiar to the Isle of Lismore Livingstones and perhaps some on neighbouring Movern. The old Baron also had the same reaction when he was told about Miles Livingston of Canada by my late cousin William Livingstone Clink, that our ancestor was likely the Miles Livingstone b. 1775 recorded in the Island Parish records. Anyways i am not going to loose alot of sleep over whether Miles was from Movern or the neighbouring ISle of Lismore. Miles apparently left the area as young man as the family was looking for work and found it on the ISle of Islay, Argyll, Scotland with other Livingstone relatives we believe. Miles infact was married on this Isle of Islay in June of 1812 a few days before taking off for British North America . What is interesting regarding the notion that Miles was the son of Donald Livingstone and Christian Campbell of Lismore is that from Selkirk Papers we know that Miles Livingston travelled to the Selkirk Settlement in 1812 with a middle aged Donald Livingstone Jr who is mentioned in settlement records and who left the settlement in 1815 with Miles and went to Montreal where the North West Fur trading COmpany offices were located. This is not the same younger Donald livingston that remained with the Red River settlement after his kinsmen Miles Liivngstone had left in 1815. The fact that the older Donald Livingstone that accompanied Miles to Canada is named Donald Livinstone Jr. makes me suspect that Miles father was a Donald Livingstone and feeds the notion that both Miles and this Donald Livingstone were actually baptised and born at Isle of Lismore. It is possible that Miles could have easily confused his Lismore birthplace as being a part of Movern as he apparently left the area when young. Donald
Ralph Livingstone

Hi Donald - I would consider the recurrence of an unusual name (like Miles) a very good indication of a family tie - even though it isn't positive proof. I'm thinking that there may exist other kinds of records for my own line that may provide me with similar general indications - perhaps even something as simple as finding mention of a Donald of the right age with a son Duncan of the right age, who emigrated from Morvern at around the right time. Too bad I'm not lucky enough to have had an ancestor named Ralph! Even with the lack of parish birth records - I'm sure more old documents exist somewhere, and many will be gradually added over the years to the digital information that is currently available. As an example, this morning I spotted for sale on eBay (item 170211507750) an original manuscript on Scottish genealogy - hand written about the year 1650. One of the names listed as mentioned is "Livingstoun". Best Regards - Ralph
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Ralph, I think the next census for Movern is the 1841 Census. Now I am interested in exploring the possibility that the Hugh and Donald Livingstone of Savary Movern in the 1779 records had children that settled in PEI or Nova Scotia. The census of 1779 only indicates that there were 5 males in addition to the Livingstone holders living at Savary, But with the two Livingstones at Savary that makes it possible that there were up to 5 sons each of Hugh and Donald at that time. That is to say it is very possible that some of those Livingstone sons left Movern in the early 1800's for Canada. Intriuging thought anyways. Now some of those sons may show up in the 1841 records at Savary Movern but of course I would not know which ones are their sons. I could only make a good guess that the oldtimers in 1841 at Savary would have been sons of Donald and Hugh of Savary. regards, Donald