1779 Argyll List Livingstones at Movern

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

List of Families residing upon His Grace Duke of Argyll's Estate in Movern in September 1779 Livingstones Killunden Donald Livingstone cottar and family Terenish John Livingstone tenant and family Neil Livingstone workman and family John Livingstone workman and family Ann Livingstone cottar 3 sons Aulisline Hugh Livingstone tenant 1 son Duncan Livingstone tenant and family Portavata Hugh Livingstone grasskeeper 2 sons Barr Donald Livingstone cottar 1 son John Livingstone workman 1 son Rahoy Donald Livingstone workman 3 sons Catharine Livingstone cottar 1 sons Savary Malcolm Livingstone tenant 1 son Donald Livingstone tenant 5 sons Hugh Livingstone grasskeeper 5 sons Funary Angus Livingstone workman 2 sons Other Clans in Movern 1779 include Cameron,McPhee,McInnis, McDougall,McColl,McMaster,Campbell,McPherson, McLachlan, McKinnon,McInnis,
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Great! Did you find these online, or in your own records?
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle, No I copied the information a few years ago. I dont have all the info from Mull unfortunately on the Livingstones from that census. THere a number of McPhee families listed in the 1779 census living in close proximity in Movern to Livingstones, so it reinforces the notion that Roberta and Jewel's ancestor did indeed come from Movern. regards, Donald
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Donald, Could the Neil under Terenish be my Neil who was married to Ann, my 3rd Great Grandparents who left with their Children for the RRS. Regards, Jerry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jerry, Well that Neil Livingstone according to the Red River Census record was born about 1764 which would make him only about 15 or so at the time of this census. So probably too young to show up as a married tenant and householder. I greatly regret that the 1779 census did not include the names and ages of the entire fammily. THen we could probably find your Neil in that census. I am going to someday go to the National Archives in Ottawa, ', Ontario Canada and spend about a week going through Lord Selkirks papers n his Red River settlement and go through all leters and document pertaining to the period our ancestors were there. I have seen some of it, but not all I dont think that might be there.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi All, Ralph Livingstone was asking about other possible records. There is apparently a 1799 list of Argyll recruits