Alexander Livingston(e) or Liviston

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
RMcV

Post by RMcV »

I am looking for an Alexander Livingston(e) (Levingston) or (Liviston).  DoB unknown.  He was a bricklayer and believed to still be alive in 1855 (named but not listed deceased in his son's marriage registration). He had a son Archibald Livingston who was born in Ayr 1802 with the mother being Mary (Jane) Smart.  It is not known whether there were any other children either with Mary Smart or any other mother.  It is not known whether Alexander married although it is unlikely he married Mary Smart because of the way she is listed on her son's marriage registration.  It is not known whether Alexander lived in Ayr nor where he lived following Archibald's birth. Archibald was a coal pit worker in 1855 and living in Glasgow.  He married Jean Hunter Clarkson in Dumbarton in 1855 and then lived in Dumbarton working as a farm labourer.  Archibald died in 1881 prior to the census. Family legend has Archibald Livingston as a drummer boy (aged c.13) at the Battle of Waterloo with the Scot's Greys.  He is said to have ridden on his father's or grandfather's horse at the victory parade in London;  his father or grandfather also having fought at Waterloo. Alexander Livingston's grandparents are said to have been Niel Livingston/Mary Morrison and there are certainly family stories of Dr David Livingstone that would suggest this is right or close.  The following generations' names also suggest this is possible. Searching the death records from 1855 and earlier census records,  it is impossible to identify which Alexander Livingston I am looking for.  Can anyone help identify the correct person,  in which case the records should carry the names of his parents and therefore close the missing link. Thanks for your interest and I hope you can help.
Bryan Livingston

Post by Bryan Livingston »

Hi RMcV, My name is Bryan Livingston from New Zealand. I have Alexander Livingstons in my line from Old Rayne, in Aberdeenshire.
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Hello! I have been very interested in your posting, though I am not sure that we have a family connection, as my family of Livingstons has no connection with Ayr. However, there are a number of Alexanders and Archibalds in my family. My paternal grandfather was Archibald Livingston and his elder brother was Alexander. My great grandfather was Duncan, but his elder brother was called Archibald. My gt. gt, grandfather was called Alexander, and was called up for Waterloo, and his father was called Archibald. My gt. gt. grandfather was born in Craignish, Argyll, but I do not think that was their original home. The family were tenant farmers in Craignish in the latter part of the 18th century, moving to Crarae on the shores of Loch Fyne possibly mid-19th century. They then moved into Glasgow in approximately 1865. Like you, my family have always believed themselves to be related to the great Doctor, but I have never found any evidence to substantiate this. If there is a connection, it goes a very long way back! I hope this not too garbled. My reason for getting in touch with you is the similarity of Christian names and, particularly in times past, these ran in families. Anyway, good luck with your searches. Best wishes, Jill
Jill Richmond
Andrew Lancaster4

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

Hello While the results are a bit unpredictable, joining the DNA project may well help identify which families you are and are not related to, and this can make a difference. The website is at: http://users.skynet.be/lancaster/Discus ... Maclea.htm Happy New Year Andrew Belgium
barkie

Post by barkie »

hi, My grandfather x5 was Alexander Livingstone and grandmother Mary Smart their daughter Esther Livingstone married James Barclay and they are listed as being born in Ireland (maybe Antrim) they moved to Scotland (Lanarkshire) around 1841/42 James was a miner and Esther died in 1858 her father is listed as Alexander Livingstone (deceased) soldier and her mother Mary Smart or Smartt (deceased) There is also a link with Ayrshire in the family as some marriages of the children are with people who came from Ayrshire so they must have had family there. There must be a connection with this.