Red River Livingston Research Center

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hello Donald; are you familiar with this: The Canadian Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Ontario Volumn, 1880. Archibald Livingstone born in Montreal August 10, 1827, the son of Duncan and Christina (McPherson) Livingstone.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Roberta, THank you for that information on Duncan and Archibald Livingston. My ancestor Miles Livingston a native of Morven, Argyll, Scotland was a settler briefly employed by Lord Selkirk and his Red River Settlement on land acquired from the Hudsons Bay COmpany in both present day Winnipeg, Manitoba and Pembina, SOuth Dakota. THere was another family of Livingstons that were cousins of Miles that went to the settlment with him as boatbuilders and laborers for LorD Selkirk's settlement but I dont know about Hudson Bay Company employees named Livingston. Beyond the Red River indentured Servants and employees of Lord Selkirk, I dont know about Hudson Bay Company employees. I appreciate however learning about Duncan and Archibald. Sounds like they were in Montreal where the fur trade offices were at that time. Miles son Donald from his first marriage went to Montreal after leaving the Red River Settlement. He was supposed to join him in Upper Canada in 1819 and take up settlement on a land grant near Miles, but DOnald disappeared. I think I know about the James Livingston manufacturer. I think he might be connected to a prominent Livingston family who settled in Listowel Ontario by coincidence where Dr. David Livingston's older brother John was residing. John's great grandson says that there is much confusion as everyone mixes up the two Livington families in Listowel one of which was at one time Livingston and the other Livingstone. Interestingly enough John Livingstone's grandson Dr. Henry Livingston was a family physician to one of the last of the surviving family of one of the wealthy Livingston manufacturers that lived in Listowel. The fact that you mentioned Listowel, Ontario makes me think that this is the manufacturing family you speak of. The house of the manufacturer Livingston that lived in Listowel is now an old age home. I think it is called Livingstones. JOhn Livingstone's great grandson tells me that the old age home added the e in recent years. This family has no connection to Dr. Livingstone's brother John Livingstone, his family that lived at Listowel according to JOhn Livingstone's great grandson. Anyways this James Livingstons could be connected to that other Livingston family. regards, Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Donald; I didn't relay the whole article to you.
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

"go aheadativeness"--what an interesting phrase! BTW, I just wanted to take a moment and compliment Donald, Roberta, Jewel, Barry, and others on making so much progress this year on the Canadian Livingston/es, especially those in the Maritimes.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta, The Baden Livingston was the brother of the Listowel Livingston manufacturer according to Dr. Livingstone's great nephew, but no relation to his family that lived in Listowel. There just happened to be by pure coincidence two Livingston families in Listowel in the 1800s. Just an interesting piece of Livingston trivia that i thought about when you mentioned one of them lived in Listowel. Funny I was talking about these manufacturing a few weeks ago over the phone to Mr.Livingstone after a lady from Listowel contacted the forum regarding the other Livingston family. There were originally two Livingston brothers who were successfull manufacturers one had a home in Baden the other built a beautiful mansion in Listowel. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle, Appreciate your sentiments. It is indeed people like Roberta, Jewel, Barry, Edith, Jerry and a number of others who make this forum happen. And yes this is very much a joint Canadian and U.S project as a good number of the Canadian Livingston researchers out there are infact from the United States. While many Scots did settle as pioneers in the States, Canada in many respects was one giantic Scottish colony in the 19th century with a large influx of Scottish settlers throughout that century, particularly in Nova Scotia and PEI, but also in Ontario and Western Canada. Some of these folks have dropped by to visit the forum and they have brought with them their own unique and interesting story about their Canadian Livingston ancestors and I have enjoyed every moment of that. And of course we all seem to share roots in Mull or neighbouring Morven ultimately,so its really seems like were are part of one big extended Livingston family with ancient ancestral roots in Western Argyll. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

HI Roberta, The Hudson Bay Company and their rival the North West Company employed large numbers of people of Scottish origin and the those in charge of these organizations were Scottish. For whatever reasons Scots were attracted to the fur trade these companies were involved in and it is said that in 18th century four out five Hudson Bay Company employees were of Scottish origin. What the Scots discovered was vast world of untouched forests,lakes rivers and streams of amazing beauty the likes of which they had never seen. Of course with the beauty came annoying black flies and misquitoes in the spring and summer and bitter cold weather in the winter.
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Good morning Donald; yes I remember, well, learning about the North West Company and the Hudson Bay Fur Tradeing Companies:
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Just a random note, Roberta. I have Peters in my line in Scotland.
Andrew Lancaster4

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

Hi Kyle 1. Peter and Patrick were considered the same name in Scotland. I have an example in my family, and have looked into it. It is a well-known phenomenon. 2. The name Patrick is actually historically much more common in Scotland than Ireland. The Scots brought it back to Ireland. Best Regards Andrew