Red River Livingston Research Center

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Roberta, Yes Peter is not that common at least among the Highland Livingstons but I did come across a Peter Livingston connected to a Port Appin, Appin Parish family that settled in Ontario, Canada in the 1800's. His decendant contacted the forum not so long ago and shared some information. I was able to get most of the original REd River records pertaining to my Livingston family and I learned that this Donald Livingston that accompanied by ancestor Miles was not his older brother as I had suspected previously but his teenage son born about 1794 1795 back in Scotland from his first marriage apparently. Before his journey to REd River colony in British North AMerican he remarried a Janet or Janette Livingston possibly a cousin, also stated in the marriage record to be a native of Morven like her husband, though they were wed at Bowmore, on the Isle of Islay
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Thanks, Andrew!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle, I have found it helpful to be aware that there were a number of nicknames in use among Scots, English and Dutch settlers for example in North America and it is worthwhile keeping your eyes open to possibility that your ancestor was referred to in the census and other family records by a nickname. Among my family Nancy and Ann were interchangeable and most recently I found out that my ancestor Miles Livingston's wife Janet Livingston was nicknamed Jessie and that was apparently a nickname not uncommonly used for Janet in Scotland. I probably never would of figured that one out unless I had told by some helpful person whose name for the moment escapes me. I did not about the Peter and Patrick either that Andrew mentioned. That was interesting. regards, Donald