MacColls

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Donald McColl

MacColls

Post by Donald McColl »

Kyle2 MacLea

MacColls

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Hi Donald, If you don't mind, you could email me at ksm6@cornell.edu.
Canadian Livingstone

MacColls

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Donald, Welcome to the McLea Livingstone Forum. Believe me I appreciate exactly how you feel. I am sorry that you had an unhappy experience at Culloden and that you feel your clan was being ignored. As you probably know next to the Appin Stewarts,the McColl received the greatest number of casualties at Culloden. It is unfortunate that the highland clans that participated in the Battle of Culloden can not have input in the decision making process at Culloden Battlefield Park.We are not happy with the way the National Trust has ignored our concerns but we are a relatively small clan and they are an all powerful organization in Great Britain. Though I am not a McColl I felt a tremendous disappointment that my efforts to unite your clan and bring McColls alongside with our clans and other clans associated with the former Jacobite Appin Regiment was regretably styfled. I am afraid it is now up to the McColls themselves, people like yourself to someday find a leader among your clan worldwide to build a energetic clan society that will truly represent all McColls and give them a voice. For their outstanding bravery and sacrifice at Culloden in 1746 your clan deserves no less respect than Stewarts, Maclarens, Livingstones and the other 19 or so Appin and area clans that served with the Appin Stewart leadership in the Appin Regiment at Culloden. It is my hope someday that a group of interested highland families negotiate the purchase of the Culloden Battle field park from the National Trust and allow the highland clans to honor their Jacobite heros with the dignity that they deserve and in the way that they decide. Alas that is not likely to happen any time soon, but one can dream. regards, Donald