Clan Name

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Donald Livingstone Clink

Clan Name

Post by Donald Livingstone Clink »

Hi Niall, No doubt our McLeas particpated on the Royalist side during the Civil War of the 1640's. The Stewarts of Appins and a number of other Argyll clans joined the highland army of Marquis of Montrose and the IRish led by Colkitto. Many of those from Argyll were especially looking forward to doing battle against the Duke of Argyll, a Campbell whom they had little love for. It is interesting to note regarding the Lowland Livingstons that the Cumbnernauld Agreement or Bond was led to the war in Scotland in the 1640's was signed by the Marquis of Montrose (James Graham, Lord Fleming and Lord Livingstone of Kilsyth. I am not certain of the exact relationship of Lord Livingstone of Kilsyth, a Royalist and the Sir James  Livingston of Stirling, Baron of Biel also a Royalist who was received the Isle of Lismore from King Charles in 1641. I know they are related somehow. The McLeas as you mentioned, were among those slaughtered at Dunavertie and I would suspect were part of Montrose's highlander army defeated and killed at Philliphaugh, the previous year. You mentioned I think that Lismore ended up in the hands of the Campbells. I would suspect that would have been have been after the defeat of the Royalist Armies, that James Livingstone a Royalist lost any title to the ISle of Lismore and the Campbells occupied the ISland.
Donald Livingstone Clink

Kiel Church, Lochaline

Hi Niell, My mother is of the Bryson family who were originally tenants of the Sir Richard Dobbs and his son in the 19th century on their estate at Dobbsland just outside of Carrickfergus, County Antrim, Ireland. The DObbs were listed in the 19th century in Burkes Irish Gentry or some such old book at our library. Would I find information on the highland Livingston Barons of Bachuil in the 19th century Burke Books covering Scotish families?
Bachuil

Burkes

Post by Bachuil »

We are in the current edition of Burkes Peerage, but in the 19th Century we were fairly well on our uppers.  My great grandfather decided to become a Baptist minister and was more concerned with saving souls than anything else. Regards, Niall
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Linda Livingstone1

Clan Name

Post by Linda Livingstone1 »

The cemetry is the only one in Lochaline beside the church, there are various stones of Livingstones in the old part...localy it's known as Kiel church and cemetry.
Donald Livingstone Clink

Clan Name

Yes I thought it probably is at Lochline. Thank-you. There is reported to be a Livingstone stone from the 18th century there which has a faded coat of arms on it. Perhaps this was the stone placed there by Donald Livingstone of Savary (1728-1816) in memory of his father John Livingstone and mother. I am in the process of making inquiries as to whether any one has a photo of this stone from the Keil cemetery with the faded Livingstone coat of arms.
Glenn Simpson

Clan Name

Post by Glenn Simpson »

I can confirm 100% that 'Donald of the Colours' (LIVINGSTON) lies at Kiel churchyard I was there only yesterday!
Bachuil

Clan Name

Post by Bachuil »

Glenn, Thanks for that -- a picture is on our gallery at http://www.clanmclea.co.uk/gallery.asp?ID=20 - taken by Donald MacInnis of Morvern and sent in by Donald (Livingstone) Clink.
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Donald Livingstone Clink

Clan Name

Hi Glen, Thanks for responding to my query on the resting place of Donald Livingstone (1728-1816)of Savary, Morvern. I contacted Donald McInnes whose family are from Morvern and he kindly sent me a photo he had taken of the tomb erected by Donald Livingstone for his father John Livingstone in 1760. Apart from the fact that it is a beautiful 18th century piece of graveyard stonework, there is a rare Livingstone heraldic crest somewhat faded with time on the stone. I did not know that Donald Livingstone's rank, I appreciated you informing me of that. I wonder what tartan he wore in his old age and if it resembled the current Livingstone plaids. I am interested in any information on Donald Livingstone of Morvern. My great-great-great grandfather Miles Livingstone of Morvern and later Isle of Islay came to British North America in 1812 and by this point he or his family had dropped in e in Livingstone. I am not certain why this is the case and I am curious if other highland Livingstones dropped the e eventually by the 1800's.