Name switch from Maconlea to Livingstone

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

I find it likely as well that there may be some lowland Livingstons "sprinkled" in in a few places.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle, Well it puzzled the heck out of me because i was reasonalably certain that it just didnt make sense with what the Western Argyll records were telling me. And certainly if there was a clan change to Livingston if would have more likely have shown up on Lismore prior to 1745, but at least the 1751 list of Argyll freeholders shows that Baron Duncan was very clearly still going by the name Baron Maconlea spelt Macinlea in the record. Then I noticed or someone sent me a reference to lowland settlers on part of Islay and Kintyre I think it was. I wish I could remember where I saw it. Anyways I am fairly certain that the name change would not logically show up first in the records on the Isle of Islay or other remoter locations from the Isle of Lismore. I could be wrong but it not beyond the rhelm of possibility if this lowland settlement happened that a Livingston family or families were a part of it. Anyways unless I can prove it, this is still just a theory. regards, Donald