Duncan Livingstone of Ohio Rediscovered

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Thanks to the team effort of Jewel Brown and Roberta Livingstone the mystery I have been trying solve regarding 19th century Livingstone Historian Duncan Livingstone of Ohio has been solved. In the process not only do have detailed information on Duncan Livingstone and his kin, but also interestng details from first person accounts of Donald Livingstone of Morven. Among them that his brother Angus Livingston was killed at Culloden while attempting to help a wounded friend and that he had another brother who lived at Savary, Morven named Ewen whose kin settled in Ohio, USA in the 1840's. And much more. David Livingstone to his credit, a while back, located an article from the Celtic Monthly Volume IV 1896 written by a Duncan Livingstone which he recently brought to my attention. I was soon to discover a treasure I had overlooked.The wealth of information some of it from two neices of the famous Donald Livingstone who has heard stories of his adventures related to the Battle of Culloden in their youth back in Morven, Scotland. Naturally I wanted to know more about this Duncan Livingstone of Ohio and who were these Neices of Donald Livingstone and where had they settled in America. Jewel and Roberta read about my latest quest for knowledge and away they went. Soon Jewel had located a death certificate stating that an Ohio lawyer Duncan Livingston had died March 23 1910. Was this our man. I had a wild hunch that Duncan was well educated from the quality of his writing and assumed he was either a retired teacher or lawyer in 1896. Then Jewel went one step better finding in the 1850 Ohio Census a infant Duncan Livingstone age 1 son of Angus Livingstone and his wife Margaret living in Scioto County which is in southern Ohio. Still it was long shot until I came up with information from the 1880 Ohio Census which confirmed that in fact the Duncan Livingston in the 1850 census was by 1880 a 29 year old single Lawyer living at Portsmouth in Scioto County. In 1850 in Scioto County there was a large family group living together with young Duncan and his parents. This included John age 37, Archart age 30, and Duncan age 28 who I believe were Uncles of our young Duncan the future lawyer and Livingstone historian. With this family group was a William Burke 72 and his son Hugh. Now interestingly enough in the 1896 article Duncan Livingstone had indicated that much of what he knew about the famous Donald Livingstone of Savary, Movern he had learned from two elderly nieces of Donald Livingstone, the daughters of his brother Ewen also known as Hugh Livingston. The pieces gradually came together regarding this Burke family of Morven later of Ohio. Roberta found that sure enough there was and 1824 baptismal entry for a Hugh Burke son of William Burke and Sarah Livingtone in the Morven Parish Records. Jewel found that while for some reason Sarah Livingtone Burke wife of William Burke was not censused with William and Hugh Burke in the 1850 census she subsequently found William Burke and a Sarah Livingstone Burke listed in the 1860 Ohio Census in Milton Township, Jackson County. No doubt we had found the lady who was one of sources of Duncan's first hand accounts of Donald Livingston's exploits and a neice of Donald. The final icing on the cake so to speak was a message from Jewel that included a amazingly detailed biography of our 19th century Livingstone Duncan Livingstone of Ohio. We learned that Duncan Livingstone was born on January 22, 185O in Clinton Furnace, Vernon Township, Scioto County,OHIO. His father was Angus Livingstone of Barr, Morvern, Scotland and his mother Margaret Livingstone of Fort William, Invernessshire. They came to New York State in the 1840's and by 1845 they had settled in Vernon Township, Scioto County, Ohio. I found it especially interesting that the author of the Ohio biography states that ancestors of Angus and his son Duncan were originally from Achnacremore,Benderloch and their ancestors had settled in the Parish of Morvern in the year 1600. In the 1870's Duncan trained to be a lawyer in later years became the City Solictor of Portsmouth, Scioto County, Ohio. In 1899 he visited Scotland for three months and no doubt his stated ability to speak gaelic was appreciated by his kin back in Scotland. And of course in 1896 he wrote and article on Appin Regiment and Donald Livingstone at Culloden for the Celtic Monthly. Regarding any future efforts to locate decendants of Duncan, he never married, but he had brothers and sisters and as he
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald; thank you. I have something and I want you to let me know if you are inerested. Donald(Daniel)Livingstone b April 4, 1731 in Argyll, Scotland. He died about 1793 in Augusta Township, Leeds County, Ontario. Cause of death--a tree fell on him. He was a member of the 78th Highlanders.
Jewel Brown1

Post by Jewel Brown1 »

Hello Donald,
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Jewel--you can always email me at ksm6 -at- cornell -dot- edu... I have Donald's email and can pass it along, if you like! Great find, again, and great synthesis work on Donald's part as well! Kyle=
Canadian Livingstone

Hi ROberta, As a matter of fact Daniel Livingstone is the earliest Livingstone settler in my Ontario Settler List. He appears to have been one of the 18th century Highland Soldier in a highland regiment with the British Army. Right now I have as many of the oldest pioneer settlers I could find listed under Nova Scotia, PEI, Manitoba and Ontario which were the prime settlement areas for highland Livingstones before 1840. I have no records systematically organized and listed for the USA highland Livingstone pioneers and no doubt there were communities where highland Livingstones settled. Ohio was new to me. I have not done New York State although I am reasonably familiar with lowland Livingstone of the Callendar family Robert Livingstone and his descendants. I confess because my focus is on highland MacLea Livingstones I have done much an effort on New York State Livingstones. And of course my focus has been locating Livingstones of Morven, Mull, Lismore, Appin etc. origin from Western Argyll in the highlands. North Carolina was settlement point for highlanders in the 1700's from Argyll and there seems to be some Livingstone descendants probably there. Other Livingstones of undetermined origin are located in neighbouring Southern States Georgia, Virginia for example. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel, I would wager than Catharine age 65 is young Duncan's grandmother. regards, Donald
Bachuil

Post by Bachuil »

Donald This is interesting as you say that Duncan was originally from Achnacremore, Benderloch.
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Thank you so much, Jewel, for sharing all this research with us. It is fascinating and I must congratulate you on all your work. I, for one, would be most interested to see a photo of
Jill Richmond
Jewel Brown1

Post by Jewel Brown1 »

Hello, Thank you Kyle, I will E-mail this 4 page article to you shortly and you can pass it along to Donald or whoever else you think it might be of help.
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

I saw that as well and wondered...