Laughlin Livingston

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Laughlin Livingston

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Rob had information on a second son of Alexander Livingston and Dolly (Dorothy) McGlassen that settled in Randolf County, IIinois. In addition to Laughlin born abt. 1817 there was Alexander Livingston born about 1826 or 1827 at Bachuil, Island of Lismore. Rob stated that Alexander married Mary Graham in 1853 and also that Coll son of Baron Coll Livingstone married Mary Graham in 1860 in Randolf COunty, Ilinois so we have to try and sort out that. Do you have an Alexander Livingston or Livingstone age about 23 in the 1850 Ohio Census for Randolf County? He died apparently in 1859 so dont bother with the 1860 Census. There might also be a John Livingston age about 49 or 50 in the 1860 Ohio Census, perhaps Randolf County. regards, Donald
Roberta Ann

Laughlin Livingston

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald; you said recently "unless there are two Myles Livingstone's".
Jewel Brown1

Laughlin Livingston

Post by Jewel Brown1 »

I just printed out the marriage index for the state of Illinois. 2-Alexander Livingston's for randolph county. one married a Mary Graham, April 29, 1853
Jewel Brown1

Laughlin Livingston

Post by Jewel Brown1 »

Couldn't find much for Alexander L. age about 23 in 1850 census for Randolf County. did find 2 John L. about that age 1. alexander L. age 23 b. Ohio labour. Pike County Ohio Living with the family of Jacob McCallister. 2.Alexander L. age 29 b. Ohio farmer, Franklin County, town of Truro wife. Matilda, children:David, Robert, John. this was intersting:
Jewel Brown1

Laughlin Livingston

Post by Jewel Brown1 »

Donald, I'm in the process of following Coll and Mary Graham's children as they moved about the U.S.
Canadian Livingstone

Laughlin Livingston

Hi Jewel, Ok Jewel you got me on this one. Looking back at previous posting Laughlin b. 1817 was the son of Alexander and Dorothy McGlashen. This Alexander was a son of Baron John Livingstone making Laughlin a grandson of Baron John Livingstone. He settled in Sparta, Randolph County, ILinois and married Elizabeth Mcmillan. No there was also a Coll Livingstone born abt. 1833 or 1832 second youngest son of Baron Coll Livingstone. He did indeed have an older brother named Alexander but he never left Scotland and infact being the eldest son of Baron Coll Livingstone became the next Baron of Bachuil following the death his father Baron Coll. So he is not the Alexander we find in Illnois. I am sorry to say either I have forgotten this Alexander Livingston of Illinois you mention or missed him in the research. Since he is obviously not Coll Livingston of Ilinois's brother then perhaps he is a cousin. IF so then we need to check and see if Laughlin cousin of Coll had a brother named ALexander who fits the age listed in the records. If not then we have to go back to square one. Maybe I knew about and forgot but I cant find anything in messages identifying who he as related to. I am suspecting him to be a cousin of Coll Livingstone since he cannot be his brother ALexander but i need first of all to check the list of children of Alexander Livingston and Dorothy McGlashen who were Lauglin Livingstons parents back in Bachuil and see if he had a brother named Alexander who might our mysterious Alexander. And then eventually we can get back to your theory about Coll marrying Alexanders wife. Hopefully we can sort this out,. Glad you brought it up. I am curious about this Alexander. regards, Donald
Jewel Brown1

Laughlin Livingston

Post by Jewel Brown1 »

Hello Donald,
Canadian Livingstone

Laughlin Livingston

Hi Jewel, Congratulations are in order. You are absolutely correct. Looks very much like widow Mary Graham married her late husband Alexander's first cousin Coll in 1860 shortly after the death of her first husband Alexander Livingstone in 1859. Had to refresh my brain on that one and go back to the genealogy records of the Bachuil Livingstones and Ilinois census records. After Alexander Livingstone b. abt 1827 died in 1859 the following year in the 1860 Census for Randolph County, ILlinois we find that Alexander's wife Mary is living with Alexanders first cousin Coll Livingstone and with them are Mary's children from her marriage with Alexander: James age 6,Mary age 4 and lastly Alexander age 2. Apparently Coll and the widow married in 1860 shortly after the death of Alexander in 1859. Alexander Livingston was a first cousin of Coll Livingston of Sparta, Randolph County, Illinois being the youngest son of Alexander Livingstone and Dorothy McGlashin and a younger brother to Laughlin b. 1817 and John b.1811 who I understand from the census records also settled in Randolph County, Ilinois. Their father Alexander Livingston of Bachuil, Isle of Lismore married to Dot or Dorothy McGlashen was a brother of the Baron Coll Livingstone of Bachuil. Coll b. abt. 1833 or 1832 as previously mentioned was second youngest son of Baron Coll Livingstone. Thanks for pointing that out. I was not paying attention to that and certainly future Bachuil historians need to see that it is not a mistake, but interesting piece of Bachuil Livingstone family Ilinois history that should be noted to prevent any confusion in the future. Nice going. Donald
Jewel Brown1

Laughlin Livingston

Post by Jewel Brown1 »

Hello Donald, This information is in regards to your interest in the relationship between
Canadian Livingstone

Laughlin Livingston

Hi Jewel, You have worked long at this and finally you have found Livingson family based info that verifies this interesting second marriage of the Sparta, ILlinois Livingstones related to the Baron of Bachuil. No doubt the Bachuil Livingstones will find your research of their American cousins interesting. regards, Donald