David Livingston link to the Coats of Ferguslie and Paisley

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Karen Jean Coats

Post by Karen Jean Coats »

Can you please send me any information linking the Livingstone's (Neils line, including David Livingston to the Coats line of Ferguslie and Paisley.  I am finding several overlapps but can't determine the direct connection.  I am sure that Janet Livingstone and Flora Livingston are the links somehow to James Coats Sn (1774-1857) and one of their son's Thomas (Thomas was born  1701 and married Elizabeth in 1725). Any information you can provide would be appreciated.  Also if you have anything linking a Charles McCrae Coats to either family, it would be appreciated. Thank you Karen Jean Coats
Robert Alexander Livingstone

Post by Robert Alexander Livingstone »

Hi Karen, I don't know if this will help you, but I came across a Thomas Coates Livingston while looking at Steve Wilson's pages "Lismore Livingstones". Interestingly he appears in the Baron's family, and I would suspect might have been carried from the wife's (McPherson of Kingussie) side. I've copied it below: Alexander Livingston & Jessie McPherson Jessie (b. c. 1827, Kingussie) 25 Nov. 1856, m. Tobermory, Argyll, Scotland 14 Oct. 1858, dau. Mary Ann Livingston b. Lismore, Argyll, Scotland 28 Nov. 1859, dau. Mary Louisa Livingston b. Strath, Inverness, Scotland 11 Sep. 1861, son Alexander John Livingston b. Lismore, Argyll, Scotland 13 Aug. 1862, dau. Jessie McPherson Livingston b. Lismore, Argyll, Scotland 8 Mar. 1865, son William Jervis Livingston b. Lismore, Argyll, Scotland 28 May 1867, son Thomas Coates Livingston b. Lismore, Argyll, Scotland 21 Dec. 1870, son Alexander Livingston b. Lismore, Argyll, Scotland 1899, Jessie d. c. 1906, Alexander d.
Bachuil

Post by Bachuil »

Thomas Coates Livingstone was my father's uncle Tom.
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
David Coates

Coates - Farquharson link

Post by David Coates »

I have been trying to establish whether or not thee is a link between my family and that of the Coates sept of the Farquharson's. I have also been trying to find the Cl;an Coates web site without success. I saw this and wondered if you could assist? Regards David Coates