I McLea, Shipbuilders, Rothesay, Isle of Bute

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Alison Ramsay

Post by Alison Ramsay »

Hello David Thank you very much for the response.  I've just spent about 30 mins looking at the smugmug website.  Lovely photos of ships on the Clyde among them! I will try to contact Stuart Cameron and let you know how I get on. Alison
Alison Ramsay

Post by Alison Ramsay »

Dear Kyle Many thanks for your response.  You will see in my reply to David that I am going to try to contact Stuart Cameron so I will let you know how I get on. I see that you put an entry into our Bute Sons and Daughters forum quite a while ago.  Shame no one was able to tell you any more about the McLeas.  If I find out anything at all I will definitely let you know! Thanks again. Alison
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Many thanks, Alison!  I look forward to hearing more about the shipbuilder or McLeas in general!  Much appreciated, Kyle=
Alison Ramsay

Post by Alison Ramsay »

Hello Kyle I have managed to obtain some further information about the McLea shipbuilders from one of my colleagues.  This is what he has to say: "The McLea family owned the Rothesay Ship Building Yard. The shipyard was sited roughly where the putting green closest to the War Memorial is. In 1861, McLea is listed as a Master Shipwright, employing 14 men and 21 boys.  Ten years later this had risen to over 20 men ( source 1861/71 Rothesay Census ). Funnily at that same period, ancestors of my own had a Slaters Business and Coal  and Lime business, right next door to the Shipyard. It was thought that the yard made Schooners of between 50 and 150 tons, and went into decline when more steel hulled ships were being built on the Clyde. At the same time Lord Bute got up a scheme to help unemployed men on Bute, and a fair bit of land was reclaimed from the sea.  At one time there was no promenade or gardens etc, the sea edge being just at the entrance to the Discovery Centre !!. There were also other McLea,s on Bute at that time, and from the dregs of my memory, had either a Church or a School conection." So Kyle, I'm afraid I don't think these are the McLeas you are researching but it may help to pad out some other details. I have also had a look at Headstone Inscriptions for St Mary's Chapel, Rothesay, and there are six McLeas there.  I can let you have details if you like. Alison Bute Sons and Daughters
Craig McClay Wilson

Post by Craig McClay Wilson »

Hi Alison, I visited Rothesay last year.  The small museum near the Castle has an exhibit on the Rev(Dr.) Archibald McLea, longtime minister of Rothesay from the late 1700s to mid 1800s. I found his large gravestone next to the north side of his old church. It is laying flat just to the north of the building. Craig McClay Wilson