1902 Maclay Biography located by Kyle Maclea

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Janet Parkes

Post by Janet Parkes »

Rev Archibald Mclay/Maclay I have been trying to document the Rev. Are those who have read this book able to tell me whether his parents were Archibald Mclay and Jean Thomas, and grandparents: Moses Mclay and Janet McGregor of Blairessan and/or Carbeth, Killearn?
James Stewart McLay1

Post by James Stewart McLay1 »

Hi Donald, Kyle & Janet, Interesting story, but how much of it is true? I haven't seen this book, but I think I may be able to assist Janet with her enquiry. Several years ago I attempted to record the McLay families, in the parishes of Killearn and Balfron in Stirlingshire, to try to find a link with my own forebearers in St Ninians. Without, I confess, much success. I can however, advise that Moses McLay and Janet McGregor had nine children: Margaret B1741,John B1743, Archibald B1745, JohnII B1747, Moses B1749, Helen B1852, MargaretII B1755, Janet B1756, William B1758. The original John and Margaret having presummably died in childhood. The naming of subsequent children with the same christian name as a previously deceased child , in those days, was a common occurrance. Archibald McLay and Jean Thomas, who had six children did in fact have a son Archibald B 1778 but I have no idea if he was the Rev. Arch'd. Incidentally, "Little Carbeth" Farm still exists to this day. I hope this info may be helpful. Stewart.
Andrew Lancaster4

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

This is an interesting discussion. Kyle I am sure you realize it would add a lot to our knowledge of the scattered McLays (and MacLeas) of the world to have one of this family in the DNA project. It is interesting they were in Stirlingshire, because this is near where several families with the so called MacWho signature seem to come from. Best Regards Andrew
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi James, Kyle pointed the book out to me in one of his posting here regarding Maclea related books a while back. I took a quick look through it. As I interested in the lost Appin Macleas that settled in Strathconnon and there connection to other Macleas/Macleays/Macleays living in various places in the lowlands some of the information while not new agreed with some of the ideas we have considered regarding the "other Macleas". I by that I mean those who did change their name to Livingstone or Livingston in the 1700's. I assumed that the author in 1902 was closely related to this Reverend and that he was a grandfather or something like that to the author. I assumed it was a few generations back and still fresh in the minds of the author's family and had been written down. I must admit I passed it on to Kyle Maclea who is researching Macleas and did not read it in great detail. The posting with the Maclea book is somewhere on the forum postings from Kyle. I thought it looked like an interesting book for anyone researching their Maclea roots in Scotland, but whether there are some errors in it I could not rightfully say. regards, Donald
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

I don't recall if I asked him about joining or not, so I will re-contact and see if I can get some interest!