Another possible Prince Edward Island Livingstone Branch

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

HI Barry, Be carefull the 1911 census info appears to be incorrect. The 1881 Census states that Angus was age 25 born abt. 1855/56 and the 1901 states Angus is age 45 which makes sense and then there appears to be a transcription error somewhere that makes that May 3, 1865. I believe it should be May 3, 1855 if I do my math. So unless the 1881 census is also wrong then I understand that he was 25 going on 26 at the time of the 1881 Census and born in 1855 and then the 1901 Census states Angus was 45 and born May 3, 1865 which should be 1855. So I am thinking that May 3, 1855 is your ancestors birthdate if you follow my logic. I dont understand the information you found from the 1911 census bought they dont match the 1881 or 1901 Census and may be wrong. As for Catharine the 1881 census states she is older than her husband being 34 and born abt. 1847. The 1901 Census states she is 53 and born march 17, 1848 which looks close enough to the 1881 census to probably be correct. So I would hold on to the information from these two censuses as being as close to accurate as weve got for now. Dont worry too much about the 1911 census information. Ill take a wild hunch that it is quite wrong. So Angus born 1855 and Catharine born 1848. Now to try and find the parents of Angus born 1855 in Nova Scotia. Now thats the big challenge to face. At least we know that he was born and lived in Nova Scotia. Of course we dont know how long he was in PEI or if his parents moved to Nova Scotia. Hope he is somewhere in the 1861 Nova Scotia Census with his parents and that there is birth record. Thats my hope. No point speculating on the families pioneer origins in Nova Scotia until we try to find young Angus in the 1861 Census and pinpoint his families location in 1861. regards, Donald regards, Donald regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, My intuition is telling me to look either in Cape George Antigonish County, Nova Scotia or in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia in two possible areas Boularderie or Bras'dor. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, My intuition is telling me to look either in Cape George Antigonish County, Nova Scotia or in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia in two possible areas Boularderie or Bras'dor. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Thanks for all your hard work, and the hunt goes on. I'm sorry too, I didn't notice you had gone back one more census than I could find online, which would make the birth of the two oldest sons in Cape Breton highly unlikely. Thanks Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, No in the 1881 Census 25 year old Agnes and his wife Catharine have only one child John Colin age 2 and he is recorded as being born in PEI. Also we know that Catherine is from PEI so the odds are likely I would say that their marriage record would be more likely found in the PEI marriage register which is indexed for the period of the 1870's when they most like wed, so you can easily look up your Angus Livingston if he is in there. Probably married sometime between 1875 and 1879. It is available for searching in the Public Archives of Prince Edward Island. The archives is located in Charlottetown, PEI. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, Unfortunately birth records in Nova Scotia prior to 1864 werent registered by the government and are not indexed I dont think, so you may find it difficult to locate a birth record for Angus. IF that is the case our best chance of progress is to go backwards in time in the census records and hope somehow we can locate Angus in the 1871 and most importantly the 1861 Census. Hopefully someday you will find an Angus born abt. 1856 in one of the counties in Nova Scotia in the 1861 Census his age at that time about five. Hopefully in ones search through the Cape Breton and Antigonish County, Nova Scotia census records from the year 1861 one Angus Livingston age 5 or approximately that age will surface. It is possible he located in another location but you have to start looking somewhere and those are most likely location. If you do find an ANgus age 5 you will find the parents probably born in the 1820's 1830's. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

HI Barry, Bad news. The 1861 Nova Scotia Census oddly enough does not list the family the only the head of household or at least that is what I have been told. If so then there is still a good chance that Angus age about 15 in 1871 is residing with his parents and somehow he could be found in a Nova Scotia or PEI census that way. I would also imagine someday that the 1871 Census for Nova Scotia will be completely indexed as the 1871 Ontario Census currently is for the entire province. I notice some work has been done in this regard in Nova Scotia on the Cape George 1871 census and I have found a large family group of the Livingstons in that census at Cape George this morning. No Angus age 15 or so however. I have made a note of the families I have found so I dont backtrack. Looking like I have done Cape George so it looks like your ancestor was not at Cape George, Antigonish County, Nova Scotia in 1871. One small step. Once Antigonish County can be checked out then one can look at Cape Breton as a possiblity. Again the option seems to be an exaustive check of the 1871 Nova Census of Cape BRetons areas where presbyterian Livingstons were living. regards, Donald regards, Donald
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Great work to everyone involved!
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi All Ok....I think I'm making headway. I talked to my Mom awhile ago and she said we originated from Marble Mountain in Cape Breton. I doubted that but now I am starting to see that now. So I am going with the assumption she is correct. That puts me in the Boulardie group I think. Marble Mountain is on the north side of Big Bras'dor. I have also found Angus' brother John in the 1881 PEI census and he was living in Forest Hill, PEI at the time I am to assume from what my mother told me, but she didn't know he lived there I saw it in the census and I know there was a Mary Livingstone living there that married a Davies man. She didn't know how we were related, but that was Angus' brother because he was born in Nova Scotia too and she knew they were related to them. It was brother John. She knew of Mary Livingstone when she was a girl. Now it gets interesting please look at this URL http://www.electricscotland.com/canada/ ... pter39.htm Do we know anything about this John LIvingstone? This makes reference to John Livingstone being married to Kate Livingstone from PEI. Does anyone care to hypothesize on how this might be the connection I was looking for? Mom said Angus' father was Colin, but maybe it was a John Colin Livingstone? Remember my Grandfather's name was John Duncan. This is suspicious. Thanks Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, No dont know anything about that John Livingstone. Hold on to what we got for a moment. Your ancestor ANgus Livingston born about 1856 referred apparently to his son as John Colin Livingstone also there was John Duncan Livingston who if I understood correctly is your ancestor.Hang on to that. More importantly are you certain your mother mentioned Marble Mountain. That is very significant but I need you to ask her again Marble Mountain. Is she sure she heard someone talking about Marble Mountain? Please verify because that Mqrble Mountain you speak of is on the southwest shore of Bras'dor, Cape Breton Island. As mentioned that is one of three main areas I think we would be wise to the focus the search. I will get back to you tommorrow. DOnt want to get to encouraged but that sounds like an important clue to me. Bras'dor is one of the Presbyterian Livingston early settlement points we need to look at so if she actually did say that then she may be right on the mark. regards, Donald