Another possible Prince Edward Island Livingstone Branch

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Donald Yes I am still drawing a blank as well. My aunt gave me some other information that may be helpful, but I know these are long shots. She said my grandfather John Duncan always spoke of his cousins Angus and Jim Gillis from PEI. Both brothers were married to MacRaes. Angus' children were Hazard, Pearl, and florence. and Jim's children were Sam, Christine and Mary. Maybe I can trace backwards from them and find something. I can see another trip to the archives in the near future to see if I can find land records for Angus and John, in Forest Hill PEI. I have seen the 1880 PEI Atlas and I know they had adjoining 48 acre pieces of land, and I would speculate it may have been one parcel in the beginning and split in half for two brothers. Thanks for your help Donald....the hunt goes on. My aunt thought it strange that her father never mentioned very much about his roots in Nova Scotia, other than the marble mountain connection, while he spoke often of the relatives of his mother, who was a Kelly, in the Uigg area. The only other Livingstones I can find in the vicinity of my family was a Joseph Livingstone from lot 53, in Cardigan, which is not very far away, but I can't find that my family had any relation to them, and the family has no decendents from that family in the Cardigan area now Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Barry, Your best bet is to locate land records that match their location in Lot 55 in 1880's. There may be an index of sorts of landowners for Kings County PEI lot 55. The deed index if they have one will direct to the deed and you can one or another determine the date of purchase to get a sense of when your Livingstons arrived in Kings County. Once establishing where exactly the fammily farm was then check with a local historical society about transcribed cemetery records for a presbyterian cemetery in the vicinity of the farm. Also death records may be available. They probably dont list the parents of Angus but an obituary if available might. The land records probably wont list the father as it sound like he may have died long before John and ANgus took up settlement in Kings County, but at least you may be able to establish a date when they settled at the farm in Lot 55 if nothing else. I wish there was more. Just seems all the usual sources I rely on arent available for your ancestor or i would have the names of his parents by now quite likely. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, Not likely but perhaps the father's name may be found on John and Angus Livingtons land records. I noticed from the 1881 Census John and Angus Livingston at Lot 55 Presbyterian, Joseph Livingston and his wife Margaret Catholic at Lot 53, and Samuel Livingston and his wife Mary Church of Scotland at Lot 64 all in Kings County, PEI. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, Not likely but perhaps the father's name may be found on John and Angus Livingtons land records. I noticed from the 1881 Census John and Angus Livingston at Lot 55 Presbyterian, Joseph Livingston and his wife Margaret Catholic at Lot 53, and Samuel Livingston and his wife Mary Church of Scotland at Lot 64 all in Kings County, PEI. regards, Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hello Barry; there is a Livingstone homestead around Marble Mountain. It was the home of William and Sarah (MacLean) Livingstone. Their son Harrison Lincoln Livingstone, Roman Catholic; refurbished the old homestead in 1965. Harrison "Big Liv" married Elizabeth A. Matheson. He had six sisters, Lena, Agnes, Isabel, Bertha, Barbara and Edith.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Angus, THere is actually an excellent book on Scottish settlement of Nova Scotia and Cape Breton by Lucille Campey intitled "After the Hector" which is available from PEI Books on-line. She also has written a book on PEI settlement. Well worth the read. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

I made another trip to the Archives today, but I didn't have alot of time. I found a newspaper with a death in it. Colin Livingston of Wycocomagh, Cape Breton died at Dundas, (Lot 55), the age of 50, and the newspaper was dated Jan 13, 1868. It said he left a wife and family and died of a short illness. I'm betting there were two Colins. This older Colin would be the father of Angus and John. So this Colin was born in 1818. There was only one family of Livingstones in the Dundas area, and Dundas is only 1 mile from Upton, and is where his possible son and grandson were buried. See this site.... http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/t ... 1207087189 ....It mentions a Colin Livingston born in 1818. I wonder if it is the same person. I checked the 1841 Atlas for PEI and there is no Livingstones on the land occupied by Livingstones in the 1880 atlas. Actually there were far less settlers in 1841 and the land was showing as no owner. So the family likely arrived on PEI between these dates, 1841 and 1880. I also checked the 1861 census on PEI for lot 55 and there were no Livingstons living in lot 55 then. I'm wondering if someone has a census for 1861 in Nova Scotia to see if the family is there. I didn't have time to check the land titles. That will be another visit. We had a snowstorm this morning and the Archives were delayed opening. Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, There is a 1861 Census for Nova Scotia but it does not list complete families just the householder. The one I looked at on microfilm was confusing as it listed areas in districts but I could not find individual villages. I dont know if that is the same Colin. Could be. Dont know. Checking the Dundas and Upton area cemeteries is a great idea and could tell you a lot about possible family connections to Angus and John. See if you can find ANgus and John's resting place at Upton or whereever and these Dundas Livingstons as well nearby. The local historical society may be able to tell you if any of the cemetery records have copied or indexed.
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

I do have John and his son Colin being buried in Dundas United Church Cemetery. They died a year apart. And the son was only 31 years old when he died. He was an only son to John, and the fact that he was named Colin, fits well with thought that Colin who died at age 50 was John's Father. I'll have to find the resting place of Colin Sr. and Angus. So far those headstones have not turned up. I wonder if they were buried in Georgetown, which is where Angus was married. I'll have to check that. Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, I dont think you are connected to John Livingston of West coast Cape Breton Livingtons or Malcolm Livingston of Cape George in ANtigonish County, NOva Scotia or Angus Livingstone of boularderie, Cape Breton. I suspect you are decended from a Presbyterian Livingston that lived around the Mabou area. There were a couple of John Livingstons that settled in that area. I suspect you are decended from a Presbyterian one. Colin was likely a son of the original pioneer settler whoever he was. I am assuming your ancestor lived in the Mabou area and his sons ended up in the Mabou-Glencoe-Whycocomagh area but this theory needs much more research. The Livingston mentioned that lived farther west along the coast in the Judigue Port Hood area are not Presbyterian and not likely connected to Angus Livingston. I am curious which Livingstons were buried in Mabou Cemetery and whether they were Presbyterians. I think there were Livingstons also in the Mull River area on Cape Breton. regards, Donald