Another possible Prince Edward Island Livingstone Branch

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Yes he would be 10 years old and he also has a brother John who is 9 years older and should still be living in Nova Scotia. Thanks for your help! Looks like you have the piece we need in the Census for 1871. Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

HI Barry, Dont know for sure but just going by the 1901 Census in which Angus recorded by the census taker as being 45 and the 1881 Census in which he is 25. I assumed therefore that your ancestor Angus Livingston would be about 15 or 14 in the 1871 Census. There is good chance that he will show up in the 1871 Census. I doubt both the 1881 and 1901 PEI census are in error. I think the 1856 birth year is probably accurate. Just have to get lucky enough figuring out exactly where to look in NOva Scotia. At least we a clue or two. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

I found the census for Victoria County in 1871 and one family has a 19 year old Angus and a 16 year old John. Close but not close enough. Parents were Alexander and Ann of Middle River. I also found a 1871 census for Cape George and they aren't there either. Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry When I get a chance I will check Boularderie Livingston fammilies in the Cape Breton County in the 1871 identify them and see your Angus shows up as son of Flora Livingston age 47 or any of the other related Livingston families residing at Boularderie in 1871. I have a dentist appointment tommorow but I might have time in the morning. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, Interestingly enough Boularderie Island is partly in Victoria and Cape BReton County. That would explain why I was seeing it mentioned in both counties. Anyways that would be a problem for the 1871 Census hopefully. The Boularderie Livingstons had large families and Angus, ALexander and Archie were names that in common use among this family group considering that the pioneer ancestor was Angus Livingston b. 1773 and two of his sons were Archibald and Alexander. This represents a large Livingston family group in the Lake Bras d'or area at the time of your ancestor's youth in Nova Scotia. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, You are quite right. There is only Angus age 19 and that is not your ancestor. I checked Victoria County, Cape Breton County and Inverness County on Cape BReton. Copied down as many Livingstons as I could find for further reference but could not find your ANgus. So then I tried to go back to PEI thinking that he might be in the 1871 PEI CENsus for Lot 55 Upton but according the NationaL archives book that census for Lot 55 does not exist. So I guess I am cant find Angus and his family in 1871. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

HI Barry, This is one of those situations where the marriage record for Angus and Catharine wont help us if it does exist because apparently the PEI marriage records from the 1870's don't list the parents of the bride and groom. The 1871 Census for Lot 55 Upton area is missing in the National Archives collection according to the librarian and I cant find your ancestor ANgus in the Victoria, Cape Breton or Inverness County on Cape Breton Island. Not a complete waste of time as I know have a list of many of the Cape Breton Livingstons in the 1871 Census which may prove of some use later. At least we were able to find your ancestor and his family in the 1881 and 1901 Census in PEI. Unfortunately all efforts to go farther back were thwarted by problems with the records. Had this not been the case i am almost certain I could have located information on Angus Livingstons father by one method or another. Sorry about that. I have one other idea but I dont know that it will be helpfull. regards, Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald; 1891 census lists Angus lot 55 age 41 and Catherine age 44 Lot 55.
Canadian Livingstone

HI Barry, We also know that his older brother John Livingston b. abt 1848 also born in Nova Scotia and his wife Margaret also a PEI native lived on a neighbouring farm in Lot 55. Now given that Mary, John and Margaret's eldest was born in PEI around 1868 then perhaps both John and your Ancestor were in PEI before 1871. Of course the 1871 Census for PEI, Lot 55 appears to be missing which is most unfortunate. You might want to find out when or if John and Angus bought their farms and when. I am wondering if any other Livingstons lived in the lot 55 area. The land records may indicate if other Livingstons bought land in the Upton who were of Nova Scotia origin. May be a long shot but it might tell you something in any event. At least you may be able to determine when your branch of the Livingston family came to Prince Edward Island from Nova Scotia. So far all I can see is that they may have arrived as early as 1868 or at least John did. regards, Donald regards, Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Yes Donald; John Jr. b. 1807 m. Ann McGillivary of the Donald McGillivary Clan. As a result of this union some of our Livingstones are chronicled in a book on the descendents of Donald McGillivary.