Another possible Prince Edward Island Livingstone Branch

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

My Grandfather John Livingstone was not a WWI veteran. My grandfather Judson was was a WWI veteran. Barry
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

This is very interesting. My Livingstone family is protestant and from the family history I know of and the stories I hear about my Grandfather I would say they were always protestant so I think the no Catholic connection is valid. By the way my grandfather was 76 when he died and so that makes him being born in 1888 give or take a year. Barry
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Another possible route to take on this is that my grandmother was a Turner and also from Lot 55. She had two brothers, Wallace and Homer. The Turners were also of scottish origin and their homestead was turned into a museum many years ago recognized as one of the oldest in the area. Maybe we can back track on this. Barry
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

I think I have it figured out almost. I have the following birthdays, with some discrepancies noted. I can tell by the census reports and their neighbours these are correct for 1901 and 1911 census. Angus Levingston 1901 census birth 1865 May 3 Catherine
Jewel Brown1

Post by Jewel Brown1 »

Barry,
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Barry, The United church of Canada was formed in 1925 the result of an union between the Methodist CHurch of Canada and a large number of Presbyterian congregations that supported a union between the two churches. Not all Presybterians supported the union and there still is a presbyterian church in Canada. Many United Church folks would be however of Scottish Presbyterian descent as my moms family were. It is unlikely that your mom's Livingstons descendant were of the Roman Catholic Livingstons that settled at Judique and other other communities along the west coast of Cape Breton. I would confidently wager your Livingston ancestors were connected to the Presbyterians Livingson pioneers that settled Boularderie or Bras d'or in Cape Breton. There is also a possibility your family lived in Antigonish county, Nova Scotia but the Angus and archibald makes me take a flying leap of chance that might be related to one of the Presbyterian cape breton families that had family connections to an Archibald and Archibald. You will find plenty of Angus and Archibald Livingstons of Presbyterian origin in the records there. Not 100% sure, but if I were you that is where I would start if your checking out a Cape Breton connection. That being said you need to somehow locate the marriage record for Angus and Catherine which should be in PEI circa the 1870's. Kings County would be the obvious first possible location. You know that his wife Catharine was from PEI so chances are good they married in PEI and were living there when they got married. That may give the names of Archibalds parents that were in Nova Scotia and then you can try and work with the names of his parents if they are infact included in the marriage records. None of this will happen
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Another bit of information from my mother was Angus' wife Catherine had a nickname Katie and she was a Kelly or a Kelley before she was married, so I'm off on another track too. She didn't know if she was a Cape Breton girl or not.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi BARRY, I think not. THe census says that Catharine was born in PEI. I could be wrong but my gut feeling is that she was living in PEi when she married Angus and that a couple years later in PEI their children were born in King county, PEI probably in Lot 55. My reccomendation is to go with the assumption they were living in PEI possibly Kings County when they married a couple years before the 1881 Census when John "COlin" Livingston born in PEI was two. If Im wrong Im wrong but I think there a fair chance I am right. THen the only problem is whether or not a marriage survives. Well more than a 50% chance you will find it in the PEI records. I understood correctly Barry that you reside in PEI? THere are no doubt family historians who have easy access to PEI marriage records that might be able to quickly locate this records. They may have indexed the marriage records in PEI like those of Ontario. I dont know for certain. THat makes things a whole easier for th e researcher if so. With such an index it would take a researcher only a few minutes to determine whether or there is record of their marriage in PEI. THere is of course the possibility that the marriage record is missing but lets hope that is not the case. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, The PEI marriage register from 1832 to 1888 is indeed indexed and has been microfilmed by the LDS. One can order copies of the microfilm 1630094 and 1630095 which cover the 1870's from a LDS family research center or go to the Public Archives of PEI which will likely have their own microfilmed copies of these records with indexes that cover the 1870's period when I suspect Angus and Catharine were married. I am hoping that the PEI marriage records give the names of the groom and brides parents which will be extremely helpfull in tracking down Angus Livingstons Nova Scotia origins. The Public Archives of PEI should be able to tell us that. If ANgus has a surviving marriage record and it lists his parents I will break open a bottle of champayne. But these things can never be guaranteed. Genealogy I liken to panning for gold. In the years I have been doing this sometimes I find some rare records I never believe existed. Incredible finds othertimes I hit a brick wall. Lets Hope there is a marriage record and that it names his parents. If it doesnt there is chance that his death record names his parents which some do.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, The Public Archives of PEI has set up their own index of families, but the marriage records they have from the marriage register, marriage licenses and bonds do not I am sorry to say include the name of parents according the Archives website. Thats too bad. All the marriage record will tell you is that they were married in PEi if it exists and a few other details. I was hoping that it would list the bride and grooms parents like the Quebec and Ontario records do. So we must find Angus in the 1861 or 1871 Census either in PEI or Nova Scotia where he will be listed with his parents.If those census records have not be indexed that would represent a monumental task, but one can hope that the local genealogists are indexing these Censuses or are have done so. regards, Donald