Another possible Prince Edward Island Livingstone Branch

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

HI Barry, Looking at the families in the 1881 Census at Boularderie in Victoria COunty, Cape Breton that is where most of the Livingstons are. Looks like a 25 year old Angus Livingston could be a part of the family of the widow Flora Livingston age 57 or Archibald Livingston widower age 77. Not many so easy to find. I havent found any Livingston in the Marble Mountain area in the 1881 Census but the information I saw suggests it is actually in the southwest part of Bras d'0r coastline in Inverness County while Boularderie Island is in the North East. The Livingstons that were mentioned in that article are likely of the Roman Catholic branch as it mentioned Mabou which is in the west part of Cape Breton west of Bras d'or. West of Bras d'or along the western side of Cape Breton you have Port Hood, Little Judique which has the Roman Catholic branch of our Livingstone family. Likely some of them were living also close to the South west. IN any event we seem to be focusing on Cape Breton and a general area. I am leaning toward ANGUS
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Yes she is very clear on the Marble Mountain connection, but has had no evidence to substantiate that. Remember Collin/Colin supposedly died for unknown reasons at the age of 31, so his wife would be a widow if she didn't remarry. BArry
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

The Flora is more likely, and sounds probable. Are there any of the Judique Livingstone's in the DNA database? Barry
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Trying to remember if we have any from Judique, but we have some from the Roman Catholic Livingston/e families, so if that is their line, then yes. I will send you more info on the DNA project late week, but you can also access it by search Google or the Forum for more info on the DNA project. More later, Kyle=
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

I looked at the Flora in Judique and she has more children than just Angus and John. It is reported that Angus' father died at 31 and that is why there were only 2 brothers. It might be her but I'm not sure. This makes it harder to find the family if she remarried. Barry
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Well I went to the Provincial archives today. Didn't have a whole lot of time, but so far productive. I found a record of a headstone for John Livingstone and guess what his son's too, and it was Colin who died at the age of 31, so I guess we can scrap the Colin father of Angus idea. It looks like Angus was Colin's Uncle. I found that John and Angus owned adjoining farms, and it looks like they split a 90 acre parcel down the middle. They had 48 acres each. I found the marriage record of Angus and Catherine Kelly, who was from Uigg, PEI, but no mention of the parents. They married on Nov 27th of 1877 in Georgetown PEI. So I know both brothers were born in Cape Breton and they were from Marble Mountain. Now I have no clue who their father was. I checked the 1881 census and there are very few men who would match the age of the sons. So now I have to figure out which man they belong to. Barry
Canadian Livingstone

HI Barry, I found a Flora Livingston widower who was a presbyterian living in Boularderie who had sons in their twenties in 1881 which not near Judique. There is also old gentleman Alexander Livingstone in Boularderie also a Presbyterian with family. I will pass on the details tonight. The Judique/Port Hood, and Mabou Livingstones are the Roman Catholic branch of our clan. Marble Mountain is if I understand correctly along Lake Bras d'or along the south west. I was not expecting your people would be there, but we must not leave any stone unturned. If there was a Presbyterian Livingston family in Marble Mountain they should show up in the 1871 if not the 1881 Census. Marble Mountain I understand is in Inverness County and Boularderie is in Victoria County both on Cape Breton. There was also a Presbyterian Livingston family at Middle River also in Victoria County in 1881. There is an index to the 1871 Census for all of Victoria County but it may not list the whole family just the householder. However I look at all the Livingstons record page numbers and then go to the full census and check the Livingsons family by family much easier. The index I can order on microfilm from the LDS and have it sent ot my library. It is also in book form and my genealogical society may have it but I suspect not. I dont know that the LDS have the full census of 1871 for Victoria County which what I also want because it would contain Boularderie. I want to eliminate Boularderie as a possilbity or locate your ancestor in Boularderie. Which ever the case may be and then move on to another location. regards. Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, Heres the thing. I looked through the 1881 and 1901 census and based upon them I dont see any Livingstons Catholic or Presbyterian in the Marble Mountain area. The nearest town of Malagawatch about 4.32 kms away I couldnt find any there either. The communities of Port Hood, Mabou and Judique were areas where the Catholic branch of the family settled. There was a family of Livingstons at Whycocomaugh. Perhaps the 1871 Census will show us Livingston families in the Marble Mountain area. Keep plugging at the Marble Mountain theory. THere are so few Livingstones in the area so that it should be easy to determine whether they were there or not. All these places are in Inverness County. I still suspect that your ancestor ANgus Livingston born in 1856 was a great grandson of ANgus Livingston born 1773 who was a napoleonic war veteran, who was the Livingston pioneer settler of Boularderie who was living there in the early 1800's. I know he had two sons Archibald 1804-1891 who was married to Jane Beaton and Alexander 1806-1894 who was married to Isabella Deason. They are buried in a local cemetery with their wifes. The third resident I located a widow Flora Livingston age 57 born abt. 1824 in the 1881 Census has a few sons in their twenties none named Angus in the census so this could be the mother of your Angus who was living in PEI age 25. FLora Livingston widow age 57 Presbyterian Archy age 27 Laughlin age 22 Sarah age 21 Jesse age 18 female It is possible that the gap between Archy and Laughlin is a missing son who could be your Angus who was 25 in the PEI Census, but of course this is speculation on my part. So far in my analysis of the 1881 Census for Nova Scotia this family is most likely to be the lost family of your ANgus, but I need the 1871 Census for Boularderie which I am not clear whether or not it is in Victoria County or Cape Breton County, on Cape Breton Island. I must sort that out tomorrow. Its very late. If there is another son ie Angus in that family and a father perhaps they will both show in the 1871 census. Hopefully someday soon I prove whether or not my speculation was correct or another brick wall. In any event we can determine the situation with the 1871 Census that covers Boularderie. regards, Donald regards, Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Thanks Donald You gotta love this stuff. If ever there is anything at the archives here you need me to look up just let me know. It isn't far from where I work. I also work for the PEI government too, so that doesn't hurt. Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, As some Livingstons have both PEI and Nova Scotia origins your knowledge and research assistance is very much welcome. I appreciate - "we" at the forum appreciate your offer of assistance. We have valuable input from Livingston kin far and wide providing us with research information on their Livingston family connections. Yes family history and genealogy is a hobby of mine and a qreat many other people out there to be sure. I have spent hours doing this for the last twelve years and my interest never tires. Over the years I have found out that my 8th great grandfather was the founder of colonial Rhode Island and that another descendant was the brother of the founder of the Mennonite church in Canada. So it is worth checking out your ancestors. I just got off the phone with our Reference Library people and they say they have the 1871 Census on Microfilm at the library for Cape Breton County, Victoria County and Inverness County in Cape Breton so that covers pretty much the areas where Angus might lived or where we think he might as lived as a boy of about 14 or 15 in the 1871 Census. So we are looking for a boy name Angus Livingston a Presbyterian. I am going to first of all figure out where Boularderie is in the census in Cape Breton or Victoria COunty and then rule in or rule out Boularderie as where your Angus lived in 1871 as a boy. regards, Donald