Tartan Register Now Online

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

As Matt Newsome noted on his tartan blog: "The long-awaited national register of tartan is now up and running and on line. http://www.tartanregister.gov.uk Click above and browse around! It incorporates the STA and STWR databases; I'm just now browsing through it myself to learn the ins and outs of the new web site. You need to register for an account (it's free) to access thread count information, which they email to your inbox upon request. Give it a browse!" If you go, you'll see that 1488 and one other that looks identical to 1488, but apparently with a different thread count, appear for "MacLea" searches. 1003 and several others for "Livingston/e" Note that 1003 is "Livingstone #2", with "Livingstone" being the same but without a black line, and being similar to the one listed as "Livingston"... Others are also listed! Check it out! Kyle=
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle, No doubt this will be of great interest to those trying to better understand the origin of their tartans to help get a sense of the patterns. Unfortunately the information that is currently available regarding tartan 1003 and another of similar look is clouded in mystery. The original source information on these tartans from the 1920's does little to inform us as to real age and origin of our principal tartan red green or red green and black tartan prior to 1900. Perhaps by contacting some of old tartan manufacturers in Glasgow and elsewhere in Scotland we might find some clues as to the real age and origins of our tartan/tartans. i really dont know what kind of records these manufacturers would have from before 1900 on old tartans and if there information would be any different from what is available online. regards, Donald
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

I
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

I wonder if because there are only 4 tartans listed as Muted in the register... that they have deliberately chosen to exclude Ancient and Muted tartans from the register. Apparently, it was very common once upon a time to have color variations made up "on the spot" for any tartan as needed.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Jerry, I am interested in Tartan 895 and 1003. They are simmilar but with a variance in thread count and colour though both contain red and green. These twentienth century numbers dont really indicate to my way of thinking the actual age or history of the tartan pattern themselves and we know that one or both of these tartans existed before Johnstons tartan book of 1906 and later Robert Bain tartan book. All that being said it is vital for that these tartans both those of highland and lowland variety be as accurately as possible catalogued and as you know there have been a number of attempts since the early 1800's to do just that. The sad fact faced by those who attempted to catalogue tartans in the early 1800's was that as a result of the tartan ban after Culloden much knowledge and information regarding the highland tartans had been lost. regards, Donald