Link to Livingston/Livingstone Scottish Births

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Donald http://www.islandregister.com/lakem/1863maps.html These maps are from 1863 and the Livingstone parcel should be in the top left corner of Lot 55 and I have checked the 1880 atlas and they are there then, and the parcel is split in half between Angus and John. So we are looking at the window between 1863 and 1880 I suspect. Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Barry, Yes I would check as far back as the 1860's in that Dundas Upton area and hopefully Colin shows up in the records in the Dundas area as we suspect he should. Dr. St.Clair mentions that some Judsons lived in the Whycocomaugh area in Cape Breton. He knows the history of the Judson family. THey originated in England apparently. His Aunt was the old Kate Livingston 1808-1912 that lived in the Mull River-Whycocomaugh area. At this point I basically trying to get the rundown on these Presbyterian Livingstons that lived in the Mull River, and Skye Mountain, Livingston Mountain,Wycocomaugh area. Evidently the Livingstons lived at Livingston Mountain and SKye Mountain in the Wycocomagh area in Inverness County, Cape Breton if that means anything to your Mom. There is a bit of confusion because there were a number of settlers and their sons with name John Livingston it would seem in the Judique-Mull River and Whycocomagh area. They used to call one father and son Red John and son of Red John and Black John and son of Black John in gaelic when speaking of then so not to confuse. The word is that the 19th century Livingstones prefered the Presbyterian church at Whycocomaugh because the service was in gaelic. So for these Livingstons the gaelic lanquage was an important part of their culture. regards, DOnald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Donald I do know my grandfather could speak both Gaelic and English. The 1901 census specified angus could only speak english, but it must have been Colin that taught Angus Gaelic. I'm sure that they could speak Gaelic and I agree with their religion being Presbyterian. Thanks Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, You need to check the source of your obituary for Colin. Dr. St Clair found what I think is the original source and the information he has found is somewhat different regarding Colin Livingston, although both agree that he was from Whycocomagh, NS and died at Dundas PEI. He may have been visiting relatives at Dundas and died there. This appears to be the original source: Presbyterian Witness Volume XXI No.3 pg.24 Saturday January 18,1868 Colin D.Livingston died 21,December 1867 at Dundas,PEI in the 59th year late of Whycomagh leaving wife and family. According to this information is born abt. 1809. I think it might be understood from this that he was visiting Dundas PEI died there and his home and family were back in Whycocomagh. Regardless of whether this is the case or not the obituary firmly establishes the notion that your family originated in the Whycocomagh and possibly Mull River area. So either way you are ahead of the game for having found the Colin Livingston info. The Land records when you locate will hopefully tell you exactly which Livingstons were living at Dundas or Upton area around the 1860's. If Colin was visiting chances are good he was not visiting young Angus and his older brother John in 1867 but their father whoever he was. Anyways hopefully this can be sorted out. REmember John was only about 18 or 19 in 1867 and Angus about 11 so they likely lived with their family in PEI at this time that is assuming they were in PEI at this time. I would be reasonably certain that if infact Colin was just visiting as the obituary seems to state, then it would have been ANgus and John's parents. So keep you eyes peeled for a name other than Angus and John in the land transactions at Dundas area during the 1850's or 1860's. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, Dr. St Clair thinks that Colin was at probably livings at PEI, so we just have to see what land records say and can clarify which it was. Dr. St. Clair is going to check the Whycocomaugh land records to see if he can learn any from them about your Colin and the other Livingstons. So together we might be able sort out this Cape Breton Livingston mystery which gets more interesting and more confusing as time goes on. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, I couldnt remember if you had located a marriage record for Angus and his wife which probably took place in PEI sometime between 1875 and 1879. If not something to do on your next trip to the archives. I was told that the old marriage records in PEi dont record the bride and grooms parents but hopefully that is the not the case in the 1870's. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Donald The newspaper was the "Exam", and the paper was dated Jan 13, 1868. I found it in the index cards at the archives, then looked it up on the microfilm of the newspaper. It did not say he was a resident of Dundas, but I just assumed he was. It didn't say he was a resident of Whycocomagh just that he was from Wycocomagh. It didn't say he was visiting though. I will get the exact wording of the obituary when I get to the archives again. I was hoping to go tomorrow, but now we have a forecasted snow storm for tonight and tomorrow morning. We'll see. Thanks Barry I am not aware of any other Livingstone's in the Dundas area, but there was a Joseph Livingstone on the east side of Cardigan River, but I don't think he was related to us. That is about 20 miles from Dundas.
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Donald Yes I did find a marriage record for Angus and Katie. Angus married Katie Kelly from Uigg PEI, at the United Church Manse in Georgetown, PEI. The date was Nov. 27th, 1877. The witnesses were Lamonts. Apparently they were Angus and Katie's close friends. Barry
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Donald I was looking over my notes, and it is very possible Colin was visiting his family. It said "of Whycocomagh", but the age was 50 years. It said he left a wife and family, but didn't say where they were presently living. Barry
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Donald Well it was a good day. This is the obituary for Colin Livingstone quoted from the Jan 13, 1968 edition of the "Examiner". "At Dundas on the 21st, after a short illness, in the 50th year of his age, Colin Livingstone, late of Whycocomagh, Cape Breton, leaving his wife and family to mourn the loss of a kind husband and affectionate father." Now the good stuff I found the deed where Colin died and the farm was passed to son Angus, my great grandfather. I am summarizing the information here. Colin died Dec 23, 1867, and he did own the farm in Forest Hill. His wife was Catherine, and after Colin's death she transferred the farm to Angus on Dec. 5th, 1892. Colin had family and they were John Livingstone, Wood Islands, PEI Angus Livingstone, Forest Hill and then Upton, PEI Johnnie Livingstone and wife Margaret, Forest Hill, PEI Mary Livingstone (Martin), Dundas, PEI, Husband John Katherine Livingstone, USA I found 3 deeds, but didn't find the original when Colin bought the property. Colin willed the Forest Hill property to Angus, then Angus sold the farm in Forest Hill to "Johnnie", 1895, and Angus bought a farm in Upton for the sum of 600 dollars from a William Nicholson, 1898. I haven't had the time to do a search on these names, but it is looking like the evidence is pointing to Catherine in Cape Breton being Colin's widow, but we have no proof. Barry