Link to Livingston/Livingstone Scottish Births

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Roberta, There was one closer than that on the west coast a few miles away at Judique but that Colin was from the Catholic branch of the family. Not the same Colin but I thought it was important to note that the name Colin is in the John Livington and Isabel McDonald branch of the family, Roman Catholics that lived along the west coast of Cape Breton several miles east of Mull River and Whycocomagh. The Whycocomagh and Mull River Livingstons seem to be only connected through marriage if I understand the information from Dr. St. Clair correctly. He states that Alexander Livingston of Whycocomagh was married to a Mull River Ann Livingston sister of old Kate of Mull River who was married to John Livingston Jr. of Mull River. He states that old Kate and her sister Ann originated from Nine Mile Creek Queens County PEI Livingstons. My question then becomes where did ALexander Livingston b.1814 of Whycocomagh husband of ANn come from. I think according the census records he was born in Nova Scotia but I will check again to be sure. So is he of the Mull River family or another branch of the Livingston family. I will check that out and get back to you. One theory suggested was that John Livingston of Judique converted to the religion of his wife Isabel McDonald, but if so then what about the other John Livingston at Low Point/Sydney/Lingan area a Roman Catholic married to Christy McPhee. Did they both convert to their wive's religion? I really dont know. THere seems to be no evidence of Livingstons in Argyll with that religion, but there needs to be more information available to us to prove that. I had this notion that the family or families back in Scotland were holdouts from the reformation period of the 1500's but I really have no evidence to back me up. I would like to check the Ontario records and see if any show up in the census records there in the 1800's. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Roberta, Ok so Alexander of Whycocomagh was born abt. 1814 in Scotland. This tells us something. It tells us that he and his people whoever they were did not arrive with the earliest Livingston families to Cape Breton or Nova Scotia. John Livingston and other Mull River families arrived in the early 1820's so chances are good that Alexander is of that Livingston family though I need to check that out. I will get back to you on this. regards, Donald