Link to Livingston/Livingstone Scottish Births

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Barry, Jim says the old Presbyterian publication from 1868 stated in died in December of 1867 and also mentions a birth date of 1809 and death age of 59. I asked him about it again and he mentioned the birth date of 1809. It is great that you found the farm and the information connecting that Colin Livingston with Angus. I take it from what you said that the land records mentioned that Colin Livingston's wife was Catharine. I dont see that Colin could be old Aunt Kate's husband as in the 1871 Census she has no son named Angus and a son John whose age does not match Angus Livingston's brother John. Jim tells me that old Catharine and ALexander livingston of Whycocomaugh were sisterinlaw and brotherinlaw since Alex married her sister Ann. He has not been able to locate a Colin Livingston at Whycocomaugh or Mull River and has not found the Duncan Livingston whose son Malcolm born 1846 married at Whyccocmaugh Presbyterian CHurch in 1871 according to a record found by forum participant Roberta Livingstone. But still the main thing is significant progresss is being made and clues are being found. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, Great work at the archives. Unless there is evidence that Catharine was residing at Whycocomaugh or Mull River when these Land transactions occured with ANgus then it seems unlikely that it is the same Catharine Livingston. Not impossible but unlikely. That would be something you would have to find out. The Census Records in Inverness County and her obituary indicate that resided at Mull River though she was born at PEI to be sure in 1808, possibly connected to the pioneer Queens County PEI Livingstones from Mull that settled there in the early 1800's. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Donald I agree with what you said. I don't seem to be able to find a fit for Catherine around the time of the signing of the deed. I tried every combination of catherine and she doesn't seem to exist in either NS or PEI for say the 1881 census. Yes Catherine is definitely Colin's wife. I have looked up all of the children in the later census' and they all appear to be born in Nova Scotia. The fact that Colin named two of his sons makes me think his father was a John maybe. So making headway Barry
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald; The marriage of Duncan Livingston and Catherine Morrison in 1871, can be found at Nova Scotia Vital Statistics:
Canadian Livingstone

HI Barry, I would of thought that this Catharine mother of ANgus would show up in the 1881 PEI Census in Kings County. Wouldnt that be our luck if we could not find her. If you you locate the Deed when she turned the property over to her son ANgus in 1892 it should give her residence at the time of the transaction. Then you could go to the archives and check the 1891 Census information for Lot 55. I am curious what address she gives on her 1892 deed. That may be the only way to determine exactly where she was in the 1880's and 1890's. If it says she was living in Nova Scotia well then she is living in Nova Scotia, but I suspect that is not the case. Also you could look at the original deed or probated will for Colin's estate that took place after his death and see if it mentions the residence of the widow. You might want to check the PEI records for a will of one kind or another that might exist for Colin. He may or may not have had one, but you might get lucky and find one with significant information. Another project for another time no doubt. I have been trying to figure out this new portable 16 bit recording system I have to start recording some of the songs I written for twelve string guitar. I am afraid I am no technical wonder, but I am taking it a step at a time. Livingston Genealogy is competing with my music, but I do manage to fit it in to my busy schedule. Most of the songs are bits and pieces, works in progress,but I figure sooner or later if I dont get them recorded I will forgot some of the music. There was a time when I had lyrics and no songs, now I have songs and no lyrics. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Donald It said Colin of Forest Hill, but it didn't say anything about where Catherine resided. I would suspect she was staying with John on the Forest Hill farm. Strange, but the entire family signed the farm in Forest Hill over to Angus in 1892, then Angus sold the farm to John in 1895, for a sum of 1200 dollars, then Angus bought a farm in Upton for 600 dollars in 1898. I found the three deeds. The deed from Catherine to Angus required the signatures of the entire family, therefore I am assuming there was no will. Catherine should be showing on the 1881 census living in Forest Hill but she isn't. I am somewhat convinced she should have been living in Forest Hill at the time of the 1881 census, or she would have signed the farm over to Angus much sooner. There are 24 years between the death of Colin till the transfer of the farm to Angus. The deeds were hand written and somewhat difficult to read. I'll keep looking...I still haven't gotten the notes my mother has from her uncle Boyd before his death. There may be something helpful in his notes. Interesting about the 12 string guitar. I've played a 12 string guitar for more than 25 years. My wife and I have been singing together since before we were married. Recording is something we have thought about, but while raising a family of four there was never time. Almost empty nest syndrome now so maybe something we are looking at for the future. Later Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, Now that is a coincidence. Two 12 string guitar players on the Clan Mclea Livingstone Forum. You might be wise to look for the death record for Angus Livingston's mother. It will tell you exactly where she was residing at her time of death and perhaps give you a clue of where to find her final resting place and that of her husband Colin. regards, Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Barry; you mentioned being related to the Ross family:
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta, Alexander Ross Dougal Livingston i suspect was inpart named after ALexander Livingston born abt. 1814 farmer and principal Livingston at Whycocomaugh in the 1881 Census. His wife Ann also born in PEI according to the census is said to be old Kate's younger sister. I suspect that Barry's ancestor Colin born 1809 or 1818 is a brother of elder Alexander of Whycocomaugh married to Old Kate's sister or some kin of sorts but I am a long way from
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Yes Donald and it doesn't help that he is named John Colin and there is another Colin in Livingstone Cove. Roberta